I'll discuss each of these software solutions in detail in the sections below and will also introduce you to other notable inventory management systems that didn't make it to my top 5 list.
I've compiled all of my findings in this helpful guide so that you can make an informed decision about which inventory management platform is right for your ecommerce business.
So, keep reading to learn more.
What is Ecommerce Inventory Management Software?
Ecommerce inventory management software solutions help ecommerce businesses keep track of their inventory and manage their stock levels across locations. By using this type of software, businesses can optimize their stock levels to ensure that they have the right products in the right places at the right times.
Most ecommerce inventory management solutions also offer features related to order management, warehouse management, and shipping. This makes it easier to keep track of your inventory levels, orders, and shipments in one place and makes online selling more efficient.
They can also help you save money by ensuring that you don't overstock or understock your products.
Ecommerce inventory management software solutions can be used by ecommerce businesses of all sizes, from small online stores to large enterprises. However, ecommerce businesses that have complex inventory management needs such as The Home Depot and Target may require a more robust solution, such as an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system.
What Are the Benefits of Using Ecommerce Inventory Management Software?
As an ecommerce business owner, you know that having accurate inventory data is critical to your success. Not only do you need to know which products you have in stock, but you also need to know where those products are located and how many of each product you have on hand.
A reliable ecommerce inventory management software solution can help you track all of this information in one central location. This can save you a lot of time and frustration, as well as help you avoid potential stock-outs or overstocks.
Along with helping you keep track of your inventory levels, it can also automate many of the tasks associated with managing inventory, such as reordering stock and tracking sales data.
Here are some of the key benefits of using an inventory management system for your ecommerce business:
- Improved stock control: By using an inventory management system, you can keep track of your stock levels in real time. This can help you avoid overstocking or understocking your products, which can save you money.
- Increased efficiency: An inventory management system can help you automate many of the tasks associated with managing your inventory. This can free up your time so that you can focus on other aspects of your business.
- Improved customer service: By having up-to-date information about what products are in stock, you can avoid situations where customers are left disappointed because they can't purchase the items they want. This can help improve your customer satisfaction levels and loyalty.
- Reduced inventory costs: By automating tasks and having accurate data about your inventory levels, you can avoid wasting money on products that you don't need, and also reduce the need for physical inventory counts.
- Increased sales: Finally, ecommerce inventory management software can also help you increase your sales. By having accurate data about what products are in stock, you can make sure that your customers can always find the items they need when they need them. This can lead to more sales and a higher level of customer satisfaction.
If you are looking for a way to streamline your ecommerce operations, then this type of software is definitely worth considering.
What Are the Key Features of an Ecommerce Inventory Management Platform?
Not all ecommerce inventory management software solutions are created equal. Some offer a more comprehensive set of features than others.
When you're evaluating different software solutions, it's important to consider the features that are most important to your ecommerce business including:
- Stock management: The ability to track your stock levels in real time, set reorder points, and view historical data.
- Order management: The ability to track and manage customer orders, as well as create purchase orders for suppliers.
- Product categorization: The ability to organize your products into categories and subcategories for easy browsing.
- Product catalog: The ability to create and manage a product catalog, including product descriptions, images, and pricing information.
- Product attributes: The ability to add product attributes (such as size, color, or material) and filter products by those attributes.
- Barcoding and tagging: The ability to generate barcodes for products and scan them at the point of sale.
- Multi-channel integration: The ability to connect to multiple sales channels (such as your website, Amazon, eBay, and brick-and-mortar stores) and manage your inventory from one central platform.
- Inventory alerts: The ability to set up alerts for when stock levels are low or products are out of stock.
- Warehouse management: The ability to track inventory in multiple warehouses and locations, as well as manage warehouse staff and operations.
- Stock returns handling: The ability to track and manage stock returns from customers.
- Analytics and reporting: The ability to generate detailed reports on your inventory data, such as stock levels, sales data, and customer orders.
These are just some of the key features to look for in an ecommerce inventory management platform. The right software solution will offer all of these features and more, tailored to the specific needs of your business.
When Should You Invest in Ecommerce Inventory Management Software?
If you are managing a growing ecommerce business, chances are good that you will eventually need to invest in ecommerce inventory management software.
The right software can save you time and money by streamlining your inventory processes and giving you better visibility into your stock levels.
Here are a few signs that it might be time to invest in ecommerce inventory management software:
- You are manually tracking inventory levels. If you are still keeping track of your inventory levels with pen and paper or a basic spreadsheet, it is definitely time to upgrade to dedicated inventory management software.
The right software will make it easy to track stock levels in real time, so you can always be sure that you have enough products on hand to meet customer demand.
- You are having difficulty managing stock levels across multiple channels. If you sell your products through multiple online and offline channels, it can be difficult to keep track of inventory levels across all of your sales channels.
Investing in an ecommerce inventory management software solution can help you stay on top of your stock levels, no matter how many sales channels you are using.
- You frequently run out of stock or overstock products. If you are constantly running into stock issues, the right inventory management software will help you better forecast future demand and avoid stockouts and excess inventory.
- You are not taking advantage of automated reordering. If you are still manually placing orders for new inventory, you are missing out on a major time-saving opportunity.
The best inventory management software can automatically generate purchase orders when stock levels start to run low, so you can restock your shelves without lifting a finger.
- You don't have visibility into your inventory data. If you are not tracking key inventory metrics such as turnover rate and average days in stock, it is difficult to make informed decisions about your stock levels.
This means it’s time for you to use inventory management software to track all of the important data points related to your inventory, so you can make better decisions about how to manage your stock.
If you're just starting out, you may not need a full-featured ecommerce inventory management system. A simple stock control solution may be all you need at that stage.
As your ecommerce business grows and your inventory needs become more complex, you may want to consider investing in a more robust software solution. This is particularly true if you have multiple warehouses or locations, or if you sell products that require special handling or storage.
How to Find the Right Inventory Management Software Solution for Your Ecommerce Business
The ecommerce industry is booming, and with that comes increased pressure on inventory management. Ecommerce businesses need to find the right inventory management software solution to keep up with customer demand and stay ahead of the competition.
There are a few things to consider when choosing an inventory management software solution for your ecommerce business including:
- The features you need
- Your budget
- The size of your ecommerce business
- The type of products you sell
- Ease of use
You should also check if the software you pick has a dedicated support team and knowledge base to help you with any questions or issues you may have.
Be sure to consider your business needs. If you have a complex inventory setup, you'll need a more robust inventory management software solution. If you only sell a few products, a simpler solution may be all you need.
To find the right ecommerce inventory management software solution for your business, you can start by checking out the list of solutions I’ve curated after hours of research. You can also ask other ecommerce and inventory management experts for recommendations.
Once you've narrowed down your options, you can request demos or free trials of the software to see which one is the best fit for your business.
Most of the best ecommerce inventory management software solutions will offer a free trial so you can test out the features before committing to a paid plan.
The Best Inventory Management Software Solutions for Your Ecommerce Business
Now that you know what to look for in an ecommerce inventory management software solution, it’s time to look at some of the best ones and see what they offer.
1. SkuVault – Inventory Management System with Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA)
SkuVault is a cloud-based inventory management software solutions that helps online retailers keep track of their products and orders. It offers features such as real-time inventory syncing, order and shipping management, product cataloging, and more.
SkuVault is easy to use and offers a free trial, making it a great option for those who are looking for an inventory management solution.
It allows you to sync your ecommerce sales channels, manage your inventory, and generate reports. You can use it to ensure that your customers receive the right products at the right times, thereby, helping you achieve high seller performance ratings.
eLuxury’s Founder, Paul Saunders, credits SkyVault for 100% streamlining their inventory management processes that helped them know exactly where something was.
- Cloud-based data sharing that allows you to do business from anywhere in the world
- Real-time inventory syncing across marketplaces and channels
- Order routing and inventory location management
- Order and shipping management
- Product cataloging
- Supply chain management
- Product bundles
- Barcode scanning
- Cycle counting to minimize physical counts
- Quantity buffer options like “Low Quantity Cutoff,” “Push Constant Quantity,” or “Maximum Quantity” can help you give customers a sense of urgency
- Increased transparency for case packs and individual units in your inventory
- Advanced reporting features
- Amazon FBA inventory management system
- Oversell and stockout protection
- Built-in quality control
- Easy to use
- Faster fulfillment
- 83% fewer mis-ships
- 90% fewer out-of-stocks
- Improved marketplace rankings
- Integrations with your favorite ecommerce solutions such as Amazon, eBay, Magento, BigCommerce, Shopify, and more
- Dedicated customer service team
- The product catalog column width can’t be adjusted, making it difficult to read long strings of text
- Growth plan: $329/month for up to 2 users and 2,000 orders
- Pro plan: $699/month for up to 4 users and 5.000 orders
- Enterprise plan: $1149/month for up to 6 users and 12,500 orders
- 3PL plan: $629/month, starting at 2 users and 5,000 orders
- You can schedule a demo call from SkuVault by filling out this simple form or by calling them at 800.641.4507.
2. inFlow Inventory – Best All-in-One Inventory Management Solution
inFlow Inventory is an all-in-one inventory management software solution that allows you to track everything related to your inventory in one place. Know what’s in stock, which orders are coming in, and what products you might need to order more.
And the best part?
You can keep track of your ecommerce inventory right from your smartphone and reorder items ahead of time.
inFlow Inventory is trusted by over 40,000 businesses and it comes with no additional setup fees, no contracts, and a money-back guarantee. You can also try its unlimited features free for 14 days.
- Order fulfillment and inventory levels update right from your smartphone
- Real-time inventory management across multiple offices or warehouses
- Organize products using features like product names and SKUs, multi-level categories, product photos, units of measurement, dimensions and weight, serial numbers, etc.
- Barcode system
- Pick, pack, ship from one place
- A separate B2B portal
- Manufacturing costs and components tracking
- Reordering by purchase order, stock transfer, work order, recommended record points, one-click PO generation, etc.
- Faster inventory management with a barcode system
- Integrate with 95+ platforms useful for your ecommerce business
- No setup fees
- Money-back guarantee
- Pricing information not available publicly
- A 14-day free trial with unlimited features
- Contact their sales team for pricing information.
3. Zoho Inventory – Best Free Inventory Management Software
Zoho Inventory is an integrated inventory management software solution designed to help businesses track inventory, manage orders, oversee warehouses, handle GST, and much more. And to top it all – you can sign up for it for free.
It’s a perfect solution for micro, small and medium-sized businesses to large corporations. And, it has received over 4.5-star ratings on major review websites such as Capterra, G2 Crowd, and Software Advice.
- Inventory tracking – spare parts, expiry dates, batch tracking
- Order management
- Barcode scanning
- Multi-warehouse management
- Product grouping and bundling
- Serial and batch tracking
- Customer lifecycle management
- Vendor price lists, transactions, billing, back orders – all in one place
- SKU generator
- Reporting and analytics
- Reorder points and low stock alerts
- GST billing handling
- Live chat support
- Integrations with ecommerce solutions like Shopify, Etsy, Amazon, etc.
- Integrations with Zoho CRM and Zoho Books
- Limited features in the free plan
- Start with a free plan for up to 50 orders/month.
- Paid plans start from $26/month and you can try the paid versions free for 14 days.
- Standard plan: $26/month
- Professional plan: $72/month
- Premium plan: $109/month
- Elite plan: $218/month
- Ultimate plan: $254/month
4. Brightpearl – Best Advanced Inventory Management Software
Brightpearl is a cloud-based inventory management software that helps businesses keep track of their products, orders, and customers in one place. It offers features such as real-time inventory syncing, order management, customer management, and more.
The best part about Brightpearl is that it is purely designed for ecommerce, multi-channel retail, and wholesale brands. This means you can rest assured to get real-time multi-channel inventory updates and accurate demand forecasting.
Brightpearl’s rule-based automation feature helps you save time and focus on creating growth-driven strategies.
- Inventory control
- Multi-location and multi-channel inventory tracking
- Flexible cycle counts
- Bundles and assemblies
- Custom product fields on top of categories, brands, and types
- Multiple barcodes and price lists capability
- Integrated inventory planner that offers data-driven stock replenishment recommendations
- Order management
- Inventory and overstock reporting
- Automatic stock replenishment emails to your suppliers or manufacturers
- Warehouse management
- Automated order fulfillment and dropshipping
- Integrations with Amazon, Shopify, Mailchimp, 3PL, PayPal, Stripe, QuickBooks, and more
- Plug-and-play integrations
- Open API
- Rule-based automation engine
- Easy to use
- Simple transparent pricing
- 24/7 unlimited support
- Unlimited users at no extra cost
- No free trial or freemium version
- Some users suggested that their reporting features could be enhanced.
- Customized prices for retail and wholesale businesses. Request a quote from their team.
5. Shopify – Best Ecommerce Platform for Easy Shopping
Shopify is one of the most popular ecommerce platforms out there, and it offers a number of features that can help you with inventory management as well.
For starters, it lets you track your inventory levels so that you always know how much stock you have on hand. With Shopify, you can manage your products, inventory, orders, payments, and shipping – all in one place.
Shopify ensures that you get your products where they need to be. It’s easy to monitor and move your inventory across multiple locations.
And the best part?
You can manage your inventory on the go – right from your mobile device. Scan, transfer, ad keep exact counts of your inventory.
- Inventory tracking across multiple locations and sales channels
- ABC analysis or grading system to identify products to stock, reorder, and eliminate
- Inventory transfers between locations
- Bulk inventory editor
- Order management and fulfillment
- Track lost, misplaced, or damaged inventory
- Real-time inventory updates, reports, and analysis
- Data-driven decision making
- Shopify’s own 3PL, Shopify Fulfillment Network
- Inventory management apps to add inventory capabilities such as purchase ordering, demand forecasting, and low stock alerts
- Adjustment reasons like “Damaged” or “Returned”
- Upgrade or downgrade your plan anytime
- Manage inventory on the go using the Shopify mobile app
- All-in-one ecommerce platform
- Additional transaction cost for using third-party payment providers (anything except Shopify Payments)
- Try free for 14 days
- Basic plan: $29/month up to 4 inventory locations
- Shopify plan: $79/month up to 5 inventory locations
- Advanced plan: $299/month up to 8 inventory locations
- Shopify Plus plan: $2000/month for high-volume businesses
You may also want to check out my comparison post of BigCommerce vs. Shopify, where I’ve covered more features of each of these ecommerce platforms.
6. Fishbowl – Best Inventory Management Software for QuickBooks and Xero
Fishbowl is the best warehouse and inventory management software solution for businesses already using QuickBooks, Xero, or other accounting solutions.
It helps you track your products, orders, and customers by offering real-time inventory syncing, order management, customer management, barcode labeling and scanning, and more.
You can easily integrate it with your favorite ecommerce platforms such as Amazon, Magento, eBay, Shopify, Salesforce, FedEx, and more. And get all the functionality of any ERP – enterprise resource planning.
- Inventory tracking using serial numbers, expiration dates, and more
- Barcode scanning
- Work orders
- Order management
- Automated reorder points to avoid overstocking and shortages
- Multi-location inventory tracking
- Seamless integration with QuickBooks
- Manufacturing processes control
- Pick, pack, ship
- Integrations with 12+ ecommerce platforms including eBay, Amazon, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc.
- EDI, CRM, and 3PL integrations
- Too expensive for most small and medium-sized businesses
- Limited customization options
- Starts at $4395 (one-time, non-expiring access to the software)
- If you want to access to continuous updates to the software, you’ll need to renew it annually. Else also, you’ll still have access to your version of the platform.
Get a demo now to learn more about Fishbowl and how it can help you manage your inventory.
7. Cin7 – Best Software for Multi-Channel Inventory and Order Management
Cin7 allows you to get products to more customers in an efficient and faster manner than you would do otherwise. It's an all-in-one solution that connects your products, stock locations, orders, warehouses, sales channels, workflows, and more into an automated solution.
That’s why thousands of businesses trust Cin7 for their inventory and order management needs.
Cin7 has the power to take your business to new heights by giving you complete control over your stock, which will, in turn, help you optimize your inventory levels, reduce costs, and increase sales.
- Barcode, batch, FIFO, and serial tracking
- Custom inventory management
- Automation workflows and bots
- Built-in retail POS
- Integrated warehouse management
- B2B ecommerce sales solution
- 3PL or EDI connections included
- 24/7 support
- Developer APIs
- Integrations with ecommerce platforms, accounting software, and other business solutions like Shopify Plus, Amazon, Xero, Mailchimp, QuickBooks, etc.
- Customer success manager with the higher-priced plans
- Some users said that their onboarding process could be improved.
- Small Business plan: $399/month
- Business plan: $599/month
- Advanced plan: $999/month
- Enterprise plan: Contact their sales plan for pricing details.
Comparing the Top Ecommerce Inventory Management Software Tools
|Platform||Pricing||Multi-channel selling||Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA)||Useful Integrations|
|SkyVault||Starting from $329/month||Yes||Yes||Amazon, eBay, Magento, BigCommerce, Shopify, etc.|
|inFlow Inventory||A 14-day free trial with unlimited features|
Contact their sales team for pricing information.
|Yes||Yes||Integrate with 95+ platforms, including Amazon, Shopify, WooCommerce, Xero, etc.|
|Zoho Inventory||Free plan for up to 50 orders/month|
Paid plans – starting from $26/month (try free for 14 days)
|Yes||Yes||Shopify, Etsy, Amazon, Zoho CRM, Zoho Books, etc.|
|Brightpearl||Customized prices for retail and wholesale businesses – Request a quote from their sales team.||Yes||Yes||Shopify’s own 3PL, Mailchimp, Wave, ActiveCampaign, etc.|
|Shopify||Try free for 14 days|
Plans start from $29/month
|Yes||Yes||Shopify’s own 3PL, Mailchimp, Wave, ActiveCampaign, etc.|
|Fishbowl||Starts at $4395 (one-time, non-expiring access to the software)||Yes||No||12+ ecommerce platforms including eBay, Amazon, Shopify, WooCommerce, etc.|
EDI, CRM, and 3PL integrations
|Cin7||Starting from $399/month||Yes||Yes||Shopify Plus, Amazon, Xero, Mailchimp, QuickBooks, etc.|
1. How often should I count my inventory?
It depends on your business, but a good rule of thumb is to count your inventory at least once a month. This will help you keep track of your inventory levels and ensure that your records are accurate.
2. How can I reduce my inventory costs?
One way to reduce your inventory costs is to optimize your stock levels. This means having enough inventory on hand to meet customer demand, but not so much that you're overstocking your products.
Another way to reduce inventory costs is to reduce the need for physical inventory counts. You can do this using an inventory management system that lets you track your inventory levels in real time.
3. How much does inventory management software cost?
The cost of inventory management software will vary depending on the features and functionality you need. Simple stock control solutions can cost as little as $20 per month, while more comprehensive enterprise-level systems can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars per month.
To get an idea of how much you'll need to budget for inventory management software, consider the size of your business and your inventory needs.
4. Which software is best for inventory management?
The best software solution for inventory management depends on the specific needs of your business. For example, a business with multiple locations might need a different solution than a business that sells products online.
However, here are some of the best platforms that many users vouch for:
– inFlow Inventory
– Zoho Inventory
You can pick one that best fits your needs and budget.
Choose Your Ecommerce Inventory Management Software Now
Ecommerce businesses have a lot to keep track of. Not only do you have to worry about your product inventory, but you also have to keep track of your customer data, your sales data, and your shipping data.
And if you're selling on multiple channels, the task of managing your inventory can become even more complicated.
Fortunately, there are a number of different software solutions out there that can help you manage your ecommerce inventory. I've reviewed and compared some of the best ecommerce inventory management software solutions above.
I hope you find this article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in the comments section below.