Fast-paced growth in the digital world puts a lot of pressure on business owners and marketers. You need to regularly audit a website for discrepancies and optimize it to improve search rankings. That’s where the best SEO audit tools come in handy.
Likewise, frequent search algorithm changes and new SEO strategies make search engine optimization a continuous struggle, one that can be difficult to keep up with. Luckily, there are many SEO audit tools that can save you valuable time and money.
In this article, I’ll provide you with the 15 best SEO audit tools, as well as why you should consider using any of them. I’ll break down each tool’s best features, the pros, and cons of using it, as well as its price.
The List of 15 Best SEO Audit Tools
As a digital marketing expert, even I understand that SEO audit tools can be valuable assets for evaluating the performance and health of a website's search engine optimization (SEO) efforts.
I’m always monitoring the health of my website, as well as monitoring my competitor’s progress, and SEO audit tools provide me with all I need.
Here are my 15 favorite SEO Audit Tools:
Semrush is by far one of the best and most well-known SEO tools on the market.
As an SEO tool, it offers you competitor research, keyword research, site auditing, on-page SEO, backlink analysis, and auditing capabilities.
When you go to the Site Audit dashboard, you’ll be able to check the overall score of your website’s health, as well as a list of errors, warnings, and notices.
When you click on any of these, you will be able to delve deeper into the analytics. You’re able to evaluate each warning and get suggestions on how to fix the issues.
You can also do a backlink audit of your website to find any toxic backlinks your site might have. Backlinks from low-quality websites can drag down your site’s reputation, as well as its SERPs.
Other than the auditing features, it provides detailed insights into competitor analysis, keyword research, backlinks, organic traffic, and more.
The user-friendly interface and customizable reports make it an ideal choice for small and large businesses alike.
- Perform a comprehensive site audit to identify any technical SEO issues on your site.
- Page crawlability assessment
- Check your backlinking activity, as well as that of your competitors.
- Find valuable insights into your competitors' online marketing strategies including top performing keywords, ad campaigns, and traffic insights.
- Optimize your paid advertising campaigns
- Allows you to schedule and publish posts, analyze the engagement and reach of your content, and monitor your competitors' social media activities.
- The free version allows you to check 10 queries a day.
- Boasts industry-leading SEO API.
- Recommends keywords to help boost your local SEO.
- Has a social media toolkit that provides insights into your social media performance.
- Has an on-page SEO checker in the form of PageImprove.
- It can be difficult to navigate the platform at first.
- Semrush has a higher learning curve than some other platforms such as Similarweb and Ahrefs.
- Customer support is only available via call on weekdays at indicated times.
- Pro Plan: $119.95/month
- Guru Plan: $229.95/month
- Business Plan: $449.95/month
2. Surfer SEO
Surfer SEO doesn’t offer a full website audit like Semrush but is an excellent tool for optimizing your content, boosting your page’s ranking performance. Its easy-to-use keyword research functionality and other technical aspects such as metadata, makes this an excellent tool for content creators, writers/bloggers, copywriters, and freelancers.
it doesn’t have a steep learning curve as some other platforms like SpyFu so beginners will quickly get the hang of it.
Its suggestions for SEO are all data-driven which include keyword data and competitor analysis data. It also compares similar articles on the web. Based on that, it offers suggestions to optimize your headings and image elements, and even backlinking opportunities.
A standout feature, especially for content creators, is the competitor analysis. It may not be as data-driven compared to Semrush, but it gives you an idea of your competitor’s quality of content, helping you determine how to improve yours.
- Check and compare keyword density, content length, and headings with reference to the top-ranking results.
- Automate internal linking suggestions.
- Find broken links in your content.
- Whitelabel the audit reports for your clients.
- Find keywords and key phrases that are missing in your content.
- Repurpose past content and make them relevant to the current trends.
Surfer SEO Pros
- You can use Surfer SEO’s Academy to learn all things SEO, including auditing your website.
- Excellent on-page SEO tool that provides a plethora of suggestions to better optimize your content.
- Chat support is quick and helpful.
Surfer SEO Cons
- Lacks some in-depth auditing features, especially if you’re focused on paid campaigns.
- The UX is a little clunky and outdated.
- Basic Plan: $49/month
- Pro Plan: $99/month
- Business Plan: $199/month
- Enterprise Plan: Contact their sales team for a custom price
Spyfu is an excellent SEO platform that serves as an all-in-one solution. This includes keyword research, competitor analysis, backlink research, SERPs analysis, as well as a PPC analyzer.
Although there’s no dedicated auditing section, you’ll find plenty of the staple tools used for auditing in SpyFu.
For instance, the dashboard here shows a quick look at your site’s organic and paid clicks, and your top-performing keywords and their rankings. Simply use the filters to find the data you’re looking for.
SpyFu’s Backlinks page also shows all websites linking back to you, authority score, the type of links, new and lost backlinks, and more.
You can also perform PPC keyword analysis of your website, and competitors' websites, to know where you’re losing out on valuable keywords.
- Allows you to analyze your competitors' paid advertising campaigns.
- Offers a robust keyword research tool to help you find profitable keywords, and analyze their search volume, competition level, and cost-per-click (CPC.
- Provides in-depth insights into your competitors' online marketing strategies.
- Provides insights into your competitors' SEO strategies and backlink profiles.
- Offers an extensive database of historical PPC data.
- In-depth competitor analysis, including PPC competitor research
- Easy access to historical SEO data
- Branded in-depth reporting for agencies and individual professionals
- No dedicated site auditing tool can make it difficult for beginners to use SpyFu for auditing purposes
- Basic Plan: $39/month
- Professional Plan: $79/month (1st month $39)
- Team Plan: $299/month
Moz is a host of free tools for freelancers and individuals looking to dip their toes in SEO. However, the auditing features are limited in a standard plan, but make a great case use to know as a beginner.
From an auditing perspective, you’ll most likely need to start from their Medium Plan to really make use of all of all its features. Their standard plan limits you to 6 on-demand URLs a month.
The Site Crawl overview in Moz shows a range of crawl errors and issues with suggestions on how to fix them. However, its SEO analysis is not as thorough but still quite useful, with most of its suggestions centered around on-page SEO issues like header problems. By using its Page Score tool, you’ll be able to get recommendations for improving on-page SEO.
Moz primarily focuses on improving website content to make it more SEO-friendly, and you can even add keywords to scan and optimize the page specifically for that term.
- Audit your website for on-page, off-page, and technical SEO issues.
- Conduct an in-depth link analysis profile.
- Get a Page Optimization Score based on keywords with its on-page optimization tool.
- Generate colorful and user-friendly charts and reports.
- The Site Crawler is easy to use and offers quick suggestions to fix site issues.
- Has a variety of free tools.
- A limited standard plan means it can be expensive to get the full host of SEO features by switching to a medium plan.
- No live chat or phone support.
- Standard Plan: $99/month
- Medium Plan: $199/month
- Large Plan: $299/month
- Premium Plan: $599/month
Ahrefs is an excellent option for auditing your website as it provides on-page and off-page SEO auditing options. This makes it one of the best tools for growing your web traffic and analyzing your competition. Hence, Ahrefs is one of the best SEO audit tools on our list.
With its tools, you can improve your website’s SERPs, detect broken links, offer insights on technical issues such as meta descriptions, and more.
The site audit tool provides an overall health score of your site, number of URLs with issues, the content types on your site, and backlink analysis of your link building campaigns.
An audit can only be deemed a success if you see improvements on your content’s performance. Content Explorer helps you quickly verify if your attempts were succesful. It provides a quick overview of your site’s page for domain ranking, organic traffic, paid traffic, high-ranking keywords, and competitors.
- Get on-page and technical SEO information using the site auditor.
- Study the behavior of your site visitors with its industry-leading web analysis.
- Get to know your site’s ranking pattern using the Rank tracker tool.
- Check your backlink quality with the help of the Link Building Analyzer.
- Have a quick glance at your site’s most important analytics using the Site Explorer.
- Helps you do in-depth keyword research with its Keyword Explorer.
- Lets you explore useful insight on a specific page or keyword with Content Explorer.
- In-depth site analysis and auditing features compared to alternatives
- Industry-leading competitor analysis
- Great for PPC campaign research
- Not beginner friendly at all, with a complicated layout and more professional UX.
- Expensive and convoluted payment tiers.
- Lite Plan: $99/month
- Standard Plan: $199/month
- Advanced Plan: $399/month
- Business Plan: Starts at $999/month
Not sure which tool to choose between Semrush and Ahrefs. Check out Ahrefs vs Semrush: Which SEO Tool is Better in 2024 to help you decide!
6. Screaming Frog
Screaming Frog crawls your website and extracts data and searches for common SEO issues including page load speed, anchor text data, technical SEO issues, and more.
Screaming Frog can detect errors like broken links, redirects, page titles and metadata, robot tags, and XML sitemap issues among others. It also provides a visual site architecture, so you can better interpret your site’s internal linking structure. It integrates with Google Analytics, Google search console, and Google PageSpeed insights.
- Allows you to scan and analyze websites, providing comprehensive data on various elements such as URLs, page titles, meta descriptions, headings, images, and more.
- Helps you conduct SEO audits and perform technical analysis of your website.
- Provides insights into your website's internal and external links.
- Enables you to generate XML sitemaps for your website, which can be submitted to search engines for better indexation.
- Provides insights into your website's internal and external links.
Screaming Frog Pros
- In-depth technical audit
- Visual site architecture tool
- Google integrations
- Full site crawl for small and large websites
Screaming Frog Cons
- Free version lacks most features
- Slightly intimidating and not user-friendly
- The UX looks outdated.
7. Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a widely-used SEO tool that is available for free. Since it was developed by Google, it provides reliable and accurate data for your website.
With Google Search Console, you can easily scan your website for any indexation and accessibility issues, with data going as far back as 16 months.
A new feature added to GSC last year which makes it a standout tool for auditing your site is its HTTPS report, which offers you an outline of pages on your site that aren’t being served over HTTPS, and are instead HTTP.
But it doesn’t stop there, it also offers an explanation as to why the page isn’t HTTPS, such as a page having an invalid SSL certificate, or an old robot.txt file.
It also provides in-depth insights into structured data, Accelerated Mobile Pages, HTML, broken links, and site content. By utilizing Google Search Console, you can identify and fix any issues that may be negatively impacting your website's SEO performance, ensuring that your site is optimized for search engines.
- Track your website's impressions, clicks, and average position for different search queries.
- Submit sitemaps and individual URLs for crawling.
- Monitor, test, and track your AMP pages.
- Get notified of indexing failures and ‘404' or ‘500' errors.
- Analyze keyword performance.
- Free to use.
- Developed by Google, providing reliable and accurate data.
- Offers a wide range of site audit and performance analysis tools.
- Unlike tools such as Semrush, GSC can be overwhelming and difficult to interpret without SEO knowledge or experience
- Limited customization options for reporting and analysis
- Free if you have a website
8. Google PageSpeed Insights
Google PageSpeed Insights is a free online tool that was also developed by Google. Its primary goal is to help you understand how your pages are performing by analyzing your site’s web pages on both desktop and mobile devices, and providing suggestions for improvement.
Among the performance data it analyzes include site speed, user experience, and search engine rankings.
When PageSpeed Insights evaluates web pages it gives a score ranging from 0 to 100 based on various factors such as page load time, server response time, and time to interact.
- Provides recommendations for optimizing website speed and performance
- Analyzes both desktop and mobile versions of websites so page performance is always in sync
- Offers detailed reports on page load time and other performance metrics
- Provides insights into user experience and ways to improve it
Google PageSpeed Insights Pros
- Excellent tool to use if you want to improve site speed and performance
- Easy to use with a simple interface
- Free to use for anyone who has a website
Google PageSpeed Insights Cons
- Focuses solely on website speed and doesn't provide a comprehensive SEO audit
- Scores may not always be accurate and can fluctuate based on various factors
- May require technical knowledge to fully understand and implement some of the recommendations
- Free to use
9. SE Ranking
SE Ranking is a comprehensive SEO audit tool and one of its most impressive features is its Page Crawler. It can scan hundreds of pages within minutes, making it one of the most powerful tools of its kind.
It can be used for both on-page and off-page SEO audits, allowing you to evaluate everything from page speed and indexing to backlink profiles.
With the increasing importance of mobile-friendly websites, SE Ranking's audit tools also evaluate your site's mobile optimization. It checks for mobile responsiveness, page loading speed, and other factors that contribute to a positive mobile user experience.
From within the Website Audit tab, you’ll also find “Found Links” which acts as a quick way to find backlinks to your website. You’ll see the type of anchor, as well as the status code.
You can also choose to view internal links, which should help you quickly identify any broken links and other link errors on your website.
In addition to this, SE Ranking’s content editor can help you optimize your website's new content. As for existing content, you can enhance it and improve its overall performance using the On-page SEO Checker.
Moreover, SE Ranking's all-in-one SEO tool includes a keyword rank tracker and competitor analysis, making it a valuable resource for all website owners and SEO professionals.
- Dashboard provides key metrics such as top-performing keywords, traffic analytics, and website score.
- Scans all pages for links and metadata, and verifies internal and external links.
- Tracks Core Web Vitals or the metrics that indicate site performance
- Offers AI writing assistant for content optimization
- Provides historical snapshots and backups
- Resolves duplicate content issues
SE Ranking Pros
- SE Ranking provides historical snapshots and backups, making it easier to retrieve data
- AI assistant helps you create SEO content quickly
- Has a comprehensive set of SEO tools in addition to its auditing tools
SE Ranking Cons
- The pricing may not be suitable for small businesses or individuals on a tight budget. The essential package isn’t really set up for small businesses.
- Some users have reported that the tool's interface can be confusing and difficult to navigate.
- Essential Plan: $39/month (best used by freelancers only)
- Pro Plan: $89/month
- Business Plan: $189/month
Wonder how well SE Ranking compares to Semrush? Find out in SE Ranking vs Semrush: Which SEO Tool is Better.
10. Raven Tools
RavenTools offers a dedicated auditor tool with a huge selection of categories to choose from. By using it you can identify on-page and off-page SEO issues.
It can also automate marketing, white label, and brand reports. These reports include an analysis of PPC, SEO, and social media.
The website auditor can find page errors, redirects, robots.txt files, and even possible malware. It also provides data on any visibility issues, incorrect or missing metadata, and link issues. Because of these functionalities, it is considered as one of the most in-depth site auditors out there.
Unfortunately, where it excels in auditing, it lacks in some other departments. It does offer competitor research and social media tools, but neither are as in-depth as other tools like SpyFu and Semrush.
Another issue is that the UX is a little outdated and complicated to use. After spending some time with the platform, I was still struggling to quickly do basic tasks.
- A detailed website auditor with plenty of categories to choose from
- Create customizable reports
- Analyze your competitors' SEO strategies and performance including their backlink profiles, keyword rankings, and their organic traffic
- Offers social media management features that allow you to schedule and publish posts, monitor social media engagement, and track the performance of your social media campaigns
- Includes content marketing features to help you plan, create, and optimize your content
- Provides tools for link building and outreach, helping you discover high-quality link opportunities and manage your link-building campaigns
Raven Tools Pros
- Automated reports
- Their pricing tiers offer great value for businesses of all sizes
- Excellent UI design with categorized sections for different auditing tools
Raven Tools Cons
- Some features lack refinement and need an overhaul such as the competitive research and social media toolsets
- Steeper learning curve than other platforms like Ahrefs and Surfer SEO.
- Small Blitz Plan: $49/month
- Start Plan: $109/month
- Grow Plan: $199/month
- Thrive Plan: $299/month
- Lead Plan: $479/month
JetOctopus is a comprehensive SEO audit tool that offers unlimited crawling and logs for its enterprise customers. This makes it an ideal choice for larger businesses with multiple websites.
It also offers free integration with Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and backlinks in its enterprise plans.
With its focus on improving site visibility, boosting organic traffic, and fixing SEO errors, JetOctopus is considered as a powerful tool.
- Improves website crawlability and fixes SEO page errors
- Filters out fake bots and analyzes user behavior to boost traffic
- Optimizes site structure, fixes duplicates, and checks indexation tags for better SEO performance
- Gains advanced analysis and reporting with GSC Insight Extractor
- Offers unlimited crawling and logs for enterprise customers
- Provides detailed analysis and reporting, including GSC Insight Extractor
- Offers free integration with Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and backlinks in its enterprise plan
- More expensive than some other SEO audit tools
- Interface and dashboard may not be as intuitive for some users
- Its pricing is dependent on the number of sites you’d like to crawl monthly. Pricing starts from $171 a month for 100K crawl pages.
MySiteAuditor is an excellent website auditing tool that enables you to produce customizable SEO reports and even allows you to add your brand logo to them. This feature makes it possible to provide professional-looking reports to clients or stakeholders, giving them a better understanding of your website's SEO.
MySiteAuditor’s site audit tool scans your website and provides a detailed report of your site’s technical issues, on-page optimization, mobile responsiveness, and more.
The backlink analysis tool can help you identify opportunities to improve your website's link profile. As it scans your website, it identifies the links pointing to your website along with their quality and relevance.
- You can embed on your site forms of various sizes and types to increase lead generation
- You can conduct unlimited site audits and generate reports for client or stakeholder meetings
- Customize your audit reports with several white-label reporting tools provided by SE Ranking
- Provides a simple and easy-to-use interface.
- It offers a variety of customizable audit templates that allow users to generate personalized reports for clients.
- Mysiteauditor's pricing plans are relatively affordable compared to other SEO tools on the market.
- Mysiteauditor's keyword analysis capabilities are not as robust as other SEO tools.
- Some users have reported issues with the tool's accuracy and reliability.
- Mysiteauditor may not be suitable if you require more advanced SEO features.
- Basic Plan: $39/month
- Pro Plan: $79/month
13. SEO Site Checkup
SEO Site Checkup is a comprehensive website auditing tool that can help identify technical issues, on-page optimization problems, mobile responsiveness issues, and other potential areas of concern for your website's SEO.
Its reports are presented in a clear and simple format, making it easy to identify and understand issues.
One of the best features of SEO Site Checkup is its user-friendly interface. Even if you're not an SEO expert, its uncomplicated navigation allows users to quickly access tools used for keyword research,backlink analysis, competitor analysis, and more. This makes it easy for anyone who wants to self-audit their website and improve their SEO to access and use.
Another good feature worth mentioning is its customizable recommendations. The tool provides specific recommendations that can be tailored to your website's unique needs. For example, if your website has issues with meta descriptions, the tool will provide specific suggestions on how to improve them.
- Analyzes website content and structure
- Checks for broken links and missing images
- Provides keyword analysis and tracking, including that of competitors
- Assesses and scores your site’s mobile friendliness
- Analyzes your social media analytics
- Checks for the security of your site for HTTPS and malware
SEO Site Checkup Pros
- Simple and easy to use for beginners
- Free and useful tools such as a meta title test and robot.txt test
- Great SEO reports that are easy to understand
SEO Site Checkup Cons
- Although it offers a host of on-page SEO fixes, its technical SEO audit functionality is may be considered insubstantial
- The starter plan is limited to 300 keywords, which is less than most other competitors at a similar price
- Basic Plan: $29.95/month
- Webmaster Plan: $49.95/month
- Professional Plan: $89.95/month
Serpstat is a comprehensive growth hacking solution that covers SEO, PPC, and content marketing. Its feature-rich capabilities enables the user to conduct a range of audit activities — domain and website analysis, competitor research, keyword research and clustering, backlink analysis, rank tracking, and reporting — making it a valuable tool for all aspects of online marketing.
The site auditing feature is easy to use, and offers a great overview of issues on your website. You’ll also get a domain rank, and backlink information.
The combination of on-page SEO, technical SEO, and backlinking analysis is key to successfully auditing your website — and Serpstat lets you do all three.
Additionally, its broad range of use cases extends to marketers, small to medium-sized businesses, enterprises, agencies, and more. Regardless of your business type, Serpstat's comprehensive toolkit enhances your SEO efforts and provides you valuable insights.
- Analyzes your competitors' organic and paid search strategies, and identify their top-performing keywords, backlink profiles, and ad campaigns
- Allows you to analyze your own backlink profile as well as those of your competitors
- Examines your website for technical SEO issues, such as broken links, duplicate content, missing meta tags, and more
- Offers insights into paid search campaigns and allows you to conduct in-depth PPC research.
- Great keyword and competitor research tools
- Automated rank tracker
- Affordable pricing tiers
- Excellent support
Serpstat Cons Cons
- Daily limit on queries is a little low for each priced tier
- Has a steep learning curve
- Lite Plan: $69/month
- Standard Plan: $149/month
- Advanced Plan: $299/month
- Enterprise Plan: $499/month
15. Netpeak Spider
Netpeak Spider is a dedicated site crawler that is aimed at providing a complete site analysis including finding broken links, duplicate content, and image errors.
Not only is it useful for crawling and identifying site issues, but you can also link it to Google Analytics and Search Console to generate all your site’s traffic, SERPs, and CTR data.
A great feature of Netpeak Spider is the tools ability to crawl specific pages or subdomains that you choose to identify or might be causing issues.
The results of the crawl are represented by graphs for a quick overview. You can also dive in deeper through the in-depth data, as they are color-coded and listed on the right-hand side of the page.
The only issue is that as mentioned beforehand, Netpeak Spider does not provide site analytics on its own aside from its site auditing function. You’ll most likely need another tool for things like competitor and keyword research.
- Quickly crawl any site page and identify technical issues
- Create custom branded reports
- Easily visualize data collected with graphs
Netpeak Spider Pros
- Has a useful, but limited, free version
- Affordable pricing, although it is paid annually
- In-depth SEO auditing
Netpeak Spider Cons
- Lacks other SEO features such as competitor research; you’ll need to get their Netpeak SEO Checker separately
- Outdated UX
- Starter Plan: $75/annually
- Advanced Plan: $129/annually
Comparison of the 10 Best Website Audit Tools
Now that we’ve taken an in-depth look at each of the website auditing tools, here’s a comparison of the top 10 best SEO audit software.
Google Search Console
Google Page Speed Insights
Q1. What is an SEO audit tool?
A. SEO audit tools can help you conduct an SEO audit of your website. Using these tools, you can check the on-page, off-page, and technical issues of your website. With the collected data, you’ll be able to figure out what steps to take to optimize and improve your SEO strategy.
Q2. Why Is an SEO Audit Important?
A. An audit gives even better results if you use the right tools. I especially like SEO PowerSuite which comes with a dedicated Rank Tracker that lets you track unlimited keywords and optimize your content for them.
Conducting regular and timely SEO audits of your site ensures that nothing could ruin your ranking potential and that Google will not penalize your site for any unresolved issues. Through the tools recommendations in such audits, you would be able to learn the best practices in running your website.
Q3. How to conduct an SEO Audit?
A. You can conduct an SEO audit manually or hire an expert to check the areas of your site that need improvement. To get a detailed analysis of your website, it is advisable to use the best SEO audit tools.
For your SEO audit, the first step is to check whether Google has penalized your website. You can use the Google Console to check for penalties or see if a recent Google update has affected your rankings.
Q4. What are some of the best free SEO Audit tools?
A. Some of the best free SEO audit tools that you can use are:
– Google Analytics
– Google Lighthouse
– Bing Webmaster Tools
Get the most out of the Best SEO Audit Tools
In conclusion, the SEO audit tools mentioned above can take your website's performance to the next level. With these powerful tools at your disposal, you can analyze, optimize, and boost your website's SEO with ease.
Whether you're an SEO expert or just getting started, there's a tool on this list that can help you achieve your goals. From comprehensive site audits to detailed reporting and analysis, these tools offer a wealth of features to help you optimize your website and stay ahead of the competition.
So, take the time to explore these top SEO audit tools, and start improving your website's search engine visibility and overall performance today!