Last Updated On:
So I attended a great conference in San Francisco called the WarmGun 2011. There were a number of amazing speakers but the one that really stood out for me was Mike Krieger (@mikeyk) the co-founder of Instagram.
Here are some of the key notes of the presentation:
- Instagram: 12 million users in 12 months
- Company Slogan: Fast, Beautiful photo sharing
- It is about the experience of feeling like your pictures load fast, not the code.
- Perform actions optimistically
- Make the user feel productive
- If your upload fails, they would rather be upfront and tell you
- Adaptive pre-loading: so if somebody is scrolling down the page and they stop, that picture loads first. It is not in the order of uploading. Key to the user experience
- If you listen to the users tap and swipes, you will be able to improve their experience.
- Move bits when no one is watching. Process when questions are being ask (i.e. writing a caption)
In its annual iTunes store retrospective, Apple named ubiquitous photo app Instagram as its “definitive” app of the year, saying that the photography filter program makes it “near-impossible to take a bad shot.”
Article written by: Shane Barker
Instagram filter used: Lomo-fi