As 2012 draws to a close and the New Year is almost up on us, it’s time to reflect on how we have used social media. Whether for business, politics, or pure social fun, we’ve been posting, tweeting, pinning and sharing our way through the year. The trends are fascinating. Not only are there distinct differences in male and female social media users, but people are increasingly using social media to champion and share the things they are truly passionate about. And mobile marketing is growing so fast, social media mobile users are starting to overtake traditional television media.
1. 20 million Hurricane Sandy tweets in six days – Following the devastation of Hurricane Sandy, civic-minded Twitter users took to their computers and mobile devices, encouraging people to donate money and blood.
2. 23 percent of Facebook users check their account 5 or more times a day – Facebook Addicts unite!
3. Over 600 million users access Facebook via mobile devices per month – Flurry.com confirms it…..mobile apps will soon overtake TV viewing.
4. 69 percent of Pinterest visitors are ready to spend - Pinterest gets 69% of people in the mood to purchase, compared to just 40 percent of Facebook users. And they are hungry too…57 percent of them pin things related to food!
5. Over 5 million photos are added to Instagram daily – That’s #instagood news for marketers everywhere.
6. 69 percent of followers on Twitter are suggested by friends – Brand name recognition and word-of-mouth….it’s still all about who you know!
7. 85 percent of women are annoyed by their friends on Facebook - Women tend to post more detail and more often than men, but both groups have about the same number of friends.
8. 97 percent of Pinterest’s Facebook Page fans are women - Just hope their fellow pinners don’t start to annoy them too!
9. The most tweeted event in U.S. Political History – Election day 2012 wins the most tweeted event in the political history of the United States.
10. Barack Obama’s victory Facebook photo post - A photo showing President Barack Obama hugging his wife posted seconds after his re-election was official received over 4 million likes on Facebook. That’s the most likes for a post in the entire history of Facebook.
What’s your favorite social media statistic of 2012?