Are you wondering how to get that coveted blue checkmark on your Instagram profile? With social media dominating a large part of our lives, having a verified account on Instagram can be a game changer.
Getting verified on Instagram increases your credibility, helps you gain more followers, and potentially leads to new business opportunities.
In this article I’ll go through the steps you need to take to get verified on Instagram in 2024, including the requirements, the application process, and some tips and tricks to improve your chances of success.
What is a Verified Badge on Instagram?
A verified badge on Instagram is a blue tick or blue checkmark next to the username of an Instagram account holder.
The verified badge confirms the authenticity of an Instagram account and helps users distinguish real accounts of notable brands and people from fake ones.
Here, it is important to note that Instagram does not grant verified status to endorse brands, celebrities, and public figures.
It is a way to help users find the real accounts of notable people and businesses and prevent impersonation.
Who can Get Verified on Instagram?
Any renowned or highly searched for person, business, or brand can get verified on Instagram, irrespective of the number of followers they have. However, being famous on the platform and having a high follower count does not confirm verification. Users must also meet the eligibility requirements to get the badge.
Having said that, how many followers do you need to get verified on Instagram?
Instagram has not given the minimum follower count to get the blue checkmark. The social networking platform has verified accounts of notable people with less than 2000 followers.
Here’s an example:
Ian Sagdal, a professional basketball player, is verified on Instagram with only 1917 followers.
Although follower count is not a requirement to get verified on Instagram, having more followers does help.
According to a study conducted by Statista in 2020, about 73.4 percent of Instagram accounts with over 1 million followers are verified. On the other hand, Instagram has verified only 0.87 percent of accounts with 1000 to 5000 followers.
In most cases, Instagram grants verified badges to celebrities, public figures, renowned brands, registered businesses, and notable accounts with a high follower count.
Why Should You Get Verified on Instagram?
The following are the benefits of getting verified on Instagram:
- Adds credibility: The verified badge makes your brand or business account appear authentic to other Instagram users. It adds credibility to your account and tells prospective clients, customers, and visitors that the profile is the real deal.
- Prevents impersonation: Like on other social media platforms, impersonation of accounts or digital identity theft is common on Instagram as well.
This is when getting a blue check on Instagram helps. The blue checkmark or verified badge will also help your fans or followers differentiate your real Instagram account from fan or fake accounts.
- Early access to new features: If you are verified on Instagram, you can access the platform’s latest features before they are made available to unverified Instagram accounts.
- Higher reach and engagement: Instagram-verified badge can help your account appear higher in search results and score better in terms of engagement and sales.
- More paid partnership offers: If you are an influencer on Instagram, getting a blue tick next to your username can help you monetize your Instagram account. Your account will appear higher in search results, making it visible to famous brands and businesses looking for paid collaborations.
These are some benefits of getting the blue checkmark on Instagram.
What’s worth remembering here is that you do not need many followers to get verified on Instagram. As mentioned before, the platform has verified authentic and notable accounts with less than 2000 followers.
What are the Requirements to Get Verified on Instagram?
Although there is no set process for Instagram verification, the platform does consider certain factors when evaluating verification requests.
Next, make sure your account is authentic, unique, complete, and notable.
- Authentic: Your Instagram account should represent a real person, celebrity, public figure, brand, or registered business.
- Unique: You must have a unique account representing your personal brand/business. Instagram will verify only one account per brand or business, with exceptions for language-specific accounts. Also, Instagram does not grant the verified badge to general interest accounts (such as facts and memes) and fan accounts.
- Complete: Your Instagram profile should have a clear profile picture and bio. Most importantly, your account should be active when you apply for an Instagram-verified badge.
- Notable: Instagram will review your account only if it is popular among the masses and has been featured in authentic news sources. Instagram will not consider paid or sponsored media content.
- Public: Your Instagram account must be public. The social networking platform does not verify private accounts.
If you meet the above-mentioned requirements, you can apply for a verified badge.
Instagram will review your application and send a notification within 30 days of applying to let you know if your account got verified or not.
If Instagram denies your request, you can apply for the badge again after 30 days.
DO NOT send multiple requests before you hear from them, as this can lead to the cancellation of your application.
Best Ways to Get Verified on Instagram
Here are some tips that can help you get verified on Instagram and boost the visibility of your Instagram page:
1. Keep Community Guidelines in Mind
Make sure to post your own content on your Instagram page and follow the law. Whatever you post should be safe and suitable for public viewing.
2. Complete Your Instagram Profile
Before applying for the blue badge, check if your Instagram profile is complete with the following:
- A strong and clear profile photo
- A concise, informative, and easy-to-read bio (you can add emojis as well)
- A well-organized Story Highlights section
- A link to your website or a Linktree
Your Instagram bio can play a significant role in establishing your brand, attracting the right audience, and boosting sales. So, write a clear and solid bio that suits your brand or business.
Here are some tips to create an impressive Instagram bio:
- Highlight your brand or company name
- Add a clickable website link
- Select the right category
- Include a CTA (call-to-action) to encourage a response
For example, if you are an athlete, you can mention your professional role, include professional achievements, and add your website link in the bio.
If you are a business owner, you can also add your address and contact number to help potential customers reach you.
3. Don’t Buy the Verified Badge
Never pay to get verified on Instagram. The social networking platform does not allow users to buy, sell, or transfer their verified badge.
If you happen to come across an Instagram profile promising to get you a badge for a small fee or for free, do not fall into the trap.
Here’s an example:
4. Don’t Buy Followers
If you think having more followers can help you get the badge, you are mistaken. Instagram does not consider the follower count for verification. On the other hand, the platform may suspend your Instagram account for buying fake followers.
Fake followers are inactive accounts or bots that will never interact with your brand or business and benefit it in any way. And a low engagement rate is the main factor that Instagram considers identifying fake Instagram influencers, brands, and followers.
Instead of buying followers, focus on growing your brand/ business and boosting its visibility. This will help you gain organic followers who will engage with your products, services, or content and optimize sales.
5. Build a Strong Online Presence
A strong digital presence is an important factor that Instagram considers when verifying accounts.
So, when you apply for Instagram verification, the platform will check how strong your online presence is in terms of the following:
- How good is your reach on Instagram?
- Are people typing your name into the search bar?
- How is your Instagram traffic and engagement rate?
- What is your website conversion rate?
- Is your website getting to the top of a Google search?
If your account lacks in one or more of the above-mentioned parameters, you must work towards them first and then apply for the badge.
Here are some tips that can help boost your Instagram reach, engagement, and conversion rate.
- Create user-generated content
- Post more often, especially during peak hours
- Improve the quality of photos and videos
- Personalize your posts by adopting a specific visual style or content theme
- Publish Instagram Stories often
- Go live every few days
- Use relevant hashtags
- Write compelling captions
- Run a contest or giveaway every few days
Once you have built a strong online presence, you can request a verified badge for your Instagram profile.
6. Use Instagram Insights to Your Advantage
Make sure you check the Insights of your Instagram business/creator account often.
This will help you:
- Know the behavior of your target audience.
- See which posts have high engagement rates.
- Understand what kind of Instagram Stories attract more audience.
- Check the pattern of your follower growth.
Understanding these will help you plan the right content for a stronger online presence.
7. Apply for the Badge When Your Brand/Business Is Featured in News
When you request a verified badge, Instagram may run a search to find out if your work got featured in one or more news sources in recent times. This is done to gauge your performance and popularity.
So, it is a good idea to apply for the badge when your brand is receiving huge attention and is being featured in the news and articles. This will improve your odds of getting verified on Instagram.
8. Fill In the Application Form Honestly
Be careful and honest when filling out the Instagram verification application form. Make sure you enter your real name, choose the right category, add the correct website link, and submit authentic government documents.
Any wrong or false data can lead to the denial of your verification request and the deletion of your Instagram account.
9. Check for Imposter Accounts
Fake or imposter accounts are the ones that use your information illegally and pretend to be you.
You can use social media monitoring tools to track mentions or conversations around your brand and identify imposters. And if you find any, report the unauthorized account/s on Instagram to secure your real one.
However, the good news is that your real Instagram account is the one the platform will consider for verification. And once you get Instagram verification, you will not have to bother about the fake accounts anymore.
10. Avoid Cross-Platform Linking in Bio
If you are looking to get verified on Instagram, do not include any cross-platform links in your bio.
While your bio can have links to your website and landing pages, do not add links to your Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube accounts.
11. Team Up With an Agency
If you can shell out some money, hire the services of a reputable PR agency that has access to Facebook’s Media Partner Support tools. The agent can use these tools to submit a request for your Instagram-verified badge.
Although this does not guarantee Instagram verification, a professional placing the request through Facebook’s Media Partner Support panel will increase your chances.
How To Get the Verified Badge on Your Instagram Account
Here’s the step-by-step process to get the verified badge for your Instagram profile:
1. Open your Instagram account and go to your profile page.
2. Tap the hamburger icon in the top right corner.
3. Tap Settings and then select Account from the list.
4. Scroll down and select Request Verification to open the application form.
The Instagram verification application form is divided into two steps:
Step 1: Confirm Authenticity
Under this, you will be asked to do the following:
- Fill in your full name
- Select the Document Type from the list (Driver’s License, Passport, National Identification Card, Tax Filing, Recent Utility Bill, and Articles of Incorporation).
- Add a clear photo of the selected document.
(Tap Add File and submit 1 or 2 identification documents of yourself or your brand/business.)
Step 2: Confirm Notability
This is to confirm that your Instagram account represents a well-known brand, business, celebrity, or public figure.
In this step, you have to:
- Select a category for your business or creator account (For example, News/ media, Sports, Digital creator/ blogger/ influencer, Global business/ brand/ organization, and more).
- Choose your country or region from the list.
- Describe your target audience (optional).
- List the other names your brand/organization is also known by (optional).
- Lastly, add links to your other social media accounts, articles, or anything that will confirm that your account is authentic, notable and in the public interest. You can add up to 5 links here.
5. Once you have filled out the form correctly, tap Submit.
Instagram will review your request and revert within 30 days after applying. Keep an eye on the notifications tab to know the status of your request.
This is what the notifications look like:
What To Do if You Don’t Get Verified on Instagram?
Getting verified on Instagram can be tricky. There are chances that even after following all the tips and Instagram verification requirements, the platform rejects your application.
If you don’t get the verified badge, you can try doing the following:
1. Re-check the Verification Requirements
Check if you meet the four main Instagram verification requirements:
- Authentic: Re-check if you have submitted the right documents to prove that your brand/business is an authentic one.
- Unique: If you had created other accounts in the past for the same brand or business, make sure you have deleted them.
- Complete: Re-check if you have made your profile public and added a profile picture and bio to it. You can also check some verified profiles on the platform to understand profile completeness better.
- Notable: Check on Google if your brand/business was in news in the recent past. If you don’t find anything, lack of notability could be the reason.
2. Apply Again
If your Instagram verification request is denied, you can re-apply after 30 days and wait till you hear from Instagram regarding your application.
Do not apply again before receiving a decision, as this could lead to the cancelation of your application.
3. Prove the Authenticity of Your Brand/Business
If your Instagram profile is complete, unique, and notable, but you are still struggling to get the verified badge, authenticity can be the issue.
So, look for other ways to prove that your brand/business is authentic. When applying for Instagram verification, add links to your social media accounts, website, and articles.
Getting verified on TikTok, Twitter, and Facebook can also help prove the authenticity of your Instagram account and make the verification process easier. Add links to these verified accounts when you are filling out the verification form.
4. Stay Active on Your Instagram Account
Being inactive or less active on the platform can lead to the rejection of your verification request. This makes sense, as there is no point in getting verified if you don’t use your account regularly.
So, when you submit a verification request, make sure you stay active on your account by doing the following:
- Posting photos, videos, and stories regularly while taking care of the aesthetics.
- Engaging with your followers and responding to their comments.
- Exploring relevant hashtags
- Liking posts
- Running ads
5. Check for the Violation of Community Guidelines
Check if you have violated any Community Guidelines that lead to the rejection of your verification application.
You can check this by following the steps below:
- Tap the hamburger icon ☰ on your Instagram profile page
- Choose Settings from the list
- Scroll down and tap Help
- Next, tap Support Requests and then Violations
Here, you can view the ways you have violated Instagram’s Community Guidelines. Take down the violating content and apply for Instagram verification again.
If you still face issues with verification, focus on boosting the visibility of your brand or business before re-applying. You must prove that you are worthy of the blue badge.
1. Is getting Instagram verified worth it?
If you are a brand or business owner or an influencer looking for higher reach and engagement, getting verified on Instagram will help a great deal.
– An Instagram-verified badge will confirm the authentic presence of your brand/ business.
– The blue badge will boost the credibility of your brand or business, strengthen its social media presence, and increase conversion rates.
– After verification, your account will appear higher in search results, making it easier for potential customers to find your business and connect with it.
2. How many followers do you need to be verified on Instagram?
Instagram has not set a minimum follower count that you need to get the verification badge for your account. The social media platform has verified accounts with less than 2000 followers.
However, your account must represent a popular and highly searched person, brand, or business.
3. How much does it cost to be verified on Instagram?
The Instagram verification process is free. The social media platform never asks users to pay anything for account verification.
If you come across anyone asking for payment to get your account verified, do not fall into the trap.
4. Can I buy an Instagram verification badge?
No, you cannot buy an Instagram verification badge. You must fill out the verification form on Instagram and submit a request for the blue checkmark.
You may come across people or accounts offering paid verification services. Again, beware of these scammers as paid verification does not work on Instagram.
5. Can I lose my verification badge on Instagram?
Yes, Instagram can remove your verification badge at any time and disable your account if:
– You keep switching your account from public to private many times.
– You advertise your verified badge or sell it to another user.
– You try to get your account verified through a third party.
It is important that you provide authentic information during the verification process. Any false or misleading data can lead to the removal of your Instagram-verified badge. The social networking platform may also disable your account.
All Set To Apply for Instagram Verification?
If your Instagram profile is complete, unique, and represents a notable person or business, you can apply for the blue checkmark without a second thought!
Getting verified on Instagram will boost the authenticity and credibility of your brand, strengthen your social media presence, and increase lead generation.
A verified profile also appears higher in Instagram search results, guaranteeing improved visibility and engagement.
So, check the platform’s verification requirements and submit a request right away!In case of any questions on how to get verified on Instagram, you can share them in the comments below.