Last Updated On:
Is bookkeeping taking too much of your time? Are you hiring professionals who charge you by the hour to manage your accounts? Or are you using overpriced accounting software that’s giving you underwhelming results? If you’re shouting “Yes!” it’s time to switch to affordable or free (yes, you heard it right!) accounting tools.
When we speak of accounting software, FreshBooks is the first name that pops up. Indeed, it’s a great tool for professionals and businesses. But it’s not the most affordable option. FreshBooks alternatives can give you comparable accounting support at much lower prices.
What Makes FreshBooks Great?
But before we get into the best FreshBooks alternatives, let’s take a closer look at the best features of FreshBooks. Consider them while comparing alternative software solutions.
- A responsive interface that enables you to manage your accounts on any device
- Cloud-enabled for tighter security of your sensitive financial data
- Industry-standard double-entry accounting system for compliance
- Automatic tax computation according to federal regulations
- Quick invoicing and support for numerous cashless payment gateways
Best FreshBooks Alternatives to Manage Your Accounting
That’s a commendable act for any accounting software to follow. But after careful evaluation, we’ve reviewed 10 FreshBooks alternatives that offer stiff competition. Check them out.
FreshBooks Alternative #1: Invoicera
Invoicera is a great finance and accounting software option for freelancers and enterprises. It enables faster billing, time tracking, and easy payments. You can get customizable software solutions according to the scope and size of your business.
What are some of Invoicera’s standout features?
- An intuitive dashboard that’s multi-lingual and supports multiple currencies
- AI-enabled financial forecasting for better expense management
- Support for 30+ payment channels for quicker collection of dues
- Invoice apps for iOS and Android
- Easy client and staff management features
Invoicera trials are free for 15 days. For up to three clients, you can register for a lifetime-free license. For higher client volume, buy any of their paid plans.
FreshBooks Alternative #2: Hiveage
Hiveage invoicing software is a great alternative to FreshBooks. You can make project estimates, invoices, payment receipts, and expense accounts from the same interface. It even provides you with detailed reports about the financial health of your company.
Here’s why 65,000 small companies love Hiveage:
- Tools to bill clients by the hour and track expenses simultaneously
- Estimate builder to send free quotes while pitching for projects
- Auto-generated payment reminders you can schedule according to contract terms
- Smart collection gateways so that you keep the cash registers ringing every time
- Professional-looking invoices with integrated tax computation
Prices range from $15 to $79 per month, depending upon transaction volume.
FreshBooks Alternative #3: InvoiceBerry
Do you want a free invoicing solution that’s also a compelling alternative to FreshBooks?
InvoiceBerry is an open source finance and bookkeeping application that caters to startups, mid-sized companies, and professionals from all walks of life.
You can manage accounts for up to three clients, free of cost, forever. When your business expands, you can upgrade to one of the paid plans which are available at nominal rates.
InvoiceBerry beats its competitors because of these features:
- It allows you to create branded invoices from one of the slick templates
- You can import, print, and upload huge financial documents in seconds
- It has integration with PayPal and Stripe to facilitate quick online payments
- Real-time syncing of invoices, balance sheet, and payment records
- One-click conversion of quotes and estimates into invoices
Their Pro version is available for $30 per month. It allows you to manage unlimited clients and allows access to unlimited users. At this price, you get 15 readymade invoice templates and a mobile-friendly app.
FreshBooks Alternative #4: The Invoice Machine
The Invoice Machine has all the basic features of an online invoicing tool. It simplifies bookkeeping and makes invoice generation a breeze. The API is open source, which means you can modify it with a few HTTP POST calls. Talk about customization and user experience!
What are some of the winning features of The Invoice Machine?
- A billing timer that keeps ticking and recording effort while you slog away
- Auto-generated payment reminder emails to maintain the cash flow
- A simplistic yet feature-packed interface that lets you maintain your account on the fly
- Set options like language, currency, notes, discounts, and more while creating invoices
The license cost varies from $12 to $48 per month, according to the number of users and clients. For small organizations, their free version is a great pick.
FreshBooks Alternative #5: Harvest
Want a time tracking solution with added capabilities such as invoicing and scheduling payments?
Harvest gives you critical data about your billable and non-billable efforts. You also get the total haul from a project or client.
It helps you identify wasteful efforts that are eating up your budget. You can use these insights to boost your cash reserves.
Have a look at Harvest’s exemplary features:
- Robust reporting tools that provide detailed reports on effort vis-à-vis revenue
- Integration with Google applications, Trello, PayPal, Slack, and other apps
- Alerts for project budget overshoot and paydays
- Handy apps for iOS, Mac, and Android
- Easy setup for timesheet approval
You can buy Harvest for $12 per user per month, with no limits on client and invoice volumes. All accounts get a 10% discount if they pay upfront for a year. Nonprofits and schools get a 25% discount.
FreshBooks Alternative #6: Wave
Wave is another free FreshBooks alternative that syncs your bank account, expense statement, and balance sheet. And there’s no catch.
You can get this software solution completely free for unlimited clients and time. The jargon-free dashboard and uncluttered layout let you get down to business right away.
Want to know why Wave is a popular choice of many professionals:
- Month-on-month and year-on-year comparison reports facilitating wise decision-making
- Recurring invoices for repeat clients
- Book balancing with tax deductions to give a clearer picture of in-hand income
- Instant alerts for invoice delivery, view, and payment
- Just 1% processing charge for accepting bank payments through Wave. For credit card payments, they charge 2.9% + 30¢ as fees.
FreshBooks Alternative #7: QuickBooks
QuickBooks is among the most widely used accounting software solutions today.
Why is this?
With this software program, you can get access to features like project tracking, payroll management, and invoice generation at an unbeatable price.
QuickBooks enables you to always be payday-ready and tax-ready. It automatically makes deductions on paychecks and payrolls.
Get a glimpse into a few of QuickBooks’ key features:
- Project profitability calculator that factors in overheads and other deductions
- Due date reminders so that you never miss out on payments
- Real-time tracking of each outstanding bill status
- Auto-track your mileage to clock business trips
- Credit card integration to monitor miscellaneous expenses
- Batch invoicing for large firms
Freelancers can purchase this software solution for $4 per month. For small enterprises, their packages range from $12-$45.
FreshBooks Alternative #8: Xero
The next FreshBooks alternative we’re reviewing is Xero, a sophisticated finance software solution. It combines asset management, invoicing, inventory updates, and bank reconciliation. Through Xero, you can also hire a financial advisor and get great tax-saving suggestions.
You’ll fall in love with Xero for these features:
- Instant match your bank transactions to entries you have made in Xero
- You can get notifications on your mobile devices as soon as sent a client opens your invoice
- User-friendly iOS and Android apps to manage your financials on-the-move
- Create highly targeted lists with their Smart List feature
- Accurate currency conversions for global transactions
- More than 800 integrations with business apps for inventory, invoicing, and time-tracking functionalities
Prices for this software program range from $20 to $40 per month.
Image via Xero
FreshBooks Alternative #9: ZipBooks
ZipBooks is a robust accounting platform for entrepreneurs and enterprises. It lets subscribers use its basic features free of cost. You’ll only pay for third-party services available within the software program. ZipBooks imports your bank data for quick reconciliation.
What are some of its key features?
- It can help you keep track of your project expenses and income
- Strategic tie-ups with popular applications such as G-Suite, Slack, and Asana
- Support for digital payment gateways such as PayPal and Square
- Smart suggestions that can help you manage your money and retain customers
Get a single-user license of ZipBooks for free. Multi-user plans cost from $15 to $35 monthly.
FreshBooks Alternative #10: Sage Intacct
Sage Intacct is a robust accounting solution than FreshBooks. It has a suite of advanced tools for revenue and inventory management. It contains many industry-specific packages built to align with your precise needs.
With all editions, you get core financial services such as accounts payable and receivable, cash flow management, and billing.
Some notable features of this cloud accounting software solution include:
- Reporting dashboards to boost your team productivity
- Immaculate bookkeeping according to industry best practices
- Integrated with the cloud and other apps such as Salesforce
- Budget building capabilities and timely alerts for deviations
You need to contact their team to request a quote.
Ready to Choose a FreshBooks Alternative?
Accounting software can save you a lot of time and effort. Many of these FreshBooks alternatives have a free trial period during which you can evaluate their performance.
Once you’re satisfied that the software program meets your organization’s accounting needs, you can subscribe. You can focus on growing your business while these software solutions keeps your financials up-to-date.
Have you used any of these FreshBooks alternatives? Do you know of any other software solutions you think deserve a spot on this list? Please let us know your experience and insights in the comments section below.