Are you looking to collaborate with influencers/content creators on Instagram to spread the word about your brand/business? Using Instagram branded content tools the right way can help!
From discovering businesses/influencers for paid partnerships to creating and sharing branded content, the branded content tools on Instagram can help you do it all.
Keen to learn how these tools work? I will walk you through the entire process in this blog post.
Let’s get started!
What Are Instagram Branded Content Tools?
Instagram branded content tools help businesses and content creators find each other and tag their paid partnerships on the platform to improve transparency. This helps them manage branded content and track its performance within the app.
For example, in the above image, the content creator, Nalopia, created branded content for Philips Hue and added the paid partnership label. She has also tagged the partnering brand in the caption.
So, whoever sees her content will understand at a glance that this post is part of a paid partnership. The label increases transparency with the audience.
Talking about transparency, Instagram expects all businesses to disclose their paid partnerships.
The paid partnership label works positively for content creators as well. It makes their content appear authentic to viewers and boosts their reputation and visibility.
And if you are a business owner, branded content can help you reach a wider audience and increase your engagement and sales.
If you have little or no idea about what branded content is, here’s a brief explanation:
What is Instagram Branded Content?
Branded content is a piece of content created by an influencer/content creator for a business partner as a result of a paid partnership between them.
After creating any branded content, the content creator/influencer posts it on their Instagram feed or Stories and discloses that they have received compensation for it.
Here are some points to keep in mind while creating branded content:
- All branded content on Instagram must have a “Paid Partnership with [business name]” label. This shows that the brand/business has paid for the distribution of the content.
- The compensation for branded content can be in the form of money, goods, or services.
Who is Eligible To Use Instagram Branded Content Tools?
According to Instagram’s policies, anyone with a business or creator account on this social networking platform is eligible to use Instagram branded content tools.
However, you need to meet the following eligibility criteria to use Instagram branded content tools:
- You must have a Business or Creator account on Instagram. The business you are partnering with should have a Business Account for paid partnership tagging.
- You can only share original content you create and have the authorization to use.
- You must have a strong and authentic presence on Instagram with a decent follower base.
- You must post only accurate and authentic information in your branded content.
- You must comply with the platform’s Community Guidelines.
- You must not partner with brands and businesses known for systematic violations. Instagram will not entertain this and may prohibit everyone involved from using its tools.
- You must not be a government official.
If you meet all the above-mentioned Instagram branded content eligibility standards, you can start using the tools right away.
Suppose you have been using branded content tools for quite some time and then suddenly you see the following message flash on your screen – “You’re no longer eligible to use Instagram branded content tools.”
This can happen if you switch your creator or business account to a personal one or try posting something that violates the platform’s guidelines.
What Can You Do with Instagram Branded Content Tools?
Branded content tools on Instagram can benefit both businesses and content creators in many ways.
- Build new collaborations: With the help of branded content tool or handshake tool on Instagram, businesses and content creators/influencers can find each other for new collaborations.
- Boost brand awareness: If you are a business owner, you can collaborate with influencers with a huge following. Entering paid partnerships with reputable influencers can help boost your brand’s reach, website traffic, and sales.
- Create authentic branded content: When creators/influencers publish branded content, they must add the paid partnership label and tag the brand or business they are working with. This adds authenticity to the post and benefits both content creators and businesses.
- Manage paid partnerships: With branded content tools, both businesses and creators can manage paid partnerships within the app. This ensures transparency in partnerships and seamless working.
For example: If you are a business owner using branded content tools, you can control when a content creator or influencer can tag your business or products in their branded content posts. You can also un-tag yourself from a post at any time.
- Check performance: Both content creators and their business partners can check the branded content section under “Account Insights” to see how the content is performing.
How To Set Up Instagram Branded Content Tools
If you are a business owner or content creator, you can follow the steps below and set up branded content tools or handshake tools on Instagram.
The setup process is different for both, so I will cover them separately.
1. Instagram Branded Content Tools Setup Process for Brands and Businesses
Here are the steps to set up branded content tools for your brand or business:
Step 1: Set up a Business Account
If you have a personal account on Instagram, you must switch to a professional one. This is the account that the creator/influencer will use in tags and paid partnership labels. Here’s how you can set it up:
- Go to your Instagram profile and tap the hamburger icon at the top right corner.
- Tap “Settings” and then “Account.”
- Scroll down and select “Switch to Professional Account.”
- Next, tap “Continue” and select a “Category” for your business. On the same page, you can choose whether you want to display the category on your profile or not.
- Go to the next page and tap “Business.”
- Review your contact information and tap “Next.” Here, you can also choose if you want to display your contact information or not.
- In the next step, Instagram will ask you if you want to connect your Instagram Business account with your Facebook Business Page. This will help you manage both accounts in one place.
- Lastly, set up your Business account and complete your profile.
Step 2: Manage Instagram Business Account Settings
Once you’re done setting up your Instagram Business account, follow the steps below to manage the settings for branded content:
1. Go to your account “Settings” and tap “Business.”
2. Select “Branded Content” from the available options.
3. Next, choose to enable or disable the “Manually approve content creators” tab.
If you want to control your paid partnerships and branded content tags, toggle on the “Manually approve content creators” tab. It is wise to enable this tab to avoid branded content tags from unwanted creators.
Step 3: Manage Your Branded Content Partners
If you have partnered with some creators, you can add their Instagram handles under the “Approved content creators” tab. These creators can tag your brand/business in their branded content without requesting approval for branded content on Instagram.
Whenever an approved content creator tags you in their branded content, you will receive a notification.
You can add new business partners to the list or remove the existing ones at any time.
This step will complete the setup process for branded content tools on Instagram as a business.
2. Instagram Branded Content Tools Setup Process for Content Creators/Influencers
If you are a content creator/influencer, the following steps will help you set up the Instagram branded content tools for your account.
Step 1: Have a Creator Account on Instagram
Firstly, you must have a creator account on Instagram to tag paid partnerships with brands/businesses and publish branded content.
To set up a creator account, go to your Instagram account “Settings” > “Account” > “Switch to Professional Account” > “Select a Category” > “Creator.”
You can then follow the instructions and enter the required details to complete the setup process.
The Category you select will appear on your Instagram profile.
Here’s an example:
Step 2: Set Up Instagram Branded Content Tools
After switching to a Creator account, set up the branded content tools by following the steps below:
1. Go to your Instagram profile and tap “Professional Dashboard.”
2. Next, select “Branded content” from the list.
3. Tap “Set up branded content tools.”
4. Next, read Instagram’s guidelines for using the branded content tools. Once you agree to all policies, tap the “Enable” button at the end of the screen.
5. Lastly, tap “Done.”
This is how you can set up the branded content tools on Instagram as a creator to promote your personal brand.
Now, that you have learned how to set up the tools, let’s see how you can use Instagram’s branded content tools to promote your business.
How To Use Instagram Branded Content Tools for Your Business
Once you have set up the tools, you can start using them for declaring your paid partnerships.
Step 1: Sign Up for Meta Brand Collabs Manager
Meta Brand Collabs Manager helps brands and creators find each other and partner on branded content.
If you are a page admin for a brand/business, you can apply to access Meta Brand Collabs Manager here.
Meta Brands Collabs Manager helps you with the following:
- Find creative influencers/content creators and collaborate with them for branded content to expand your brand’s reach.
- Manage paid partnerships.
- Check the performance insights of your branded content posts to see if it’s worth the money.
- Partner with content creators or get their permission to turn their branded content into ads.
For example, you have partnered with a content creator/influencer on Instagram for branded content. After creating the content and publishing it, the creator can give you permission to boost it or turn it into an ad to help you reach your target audience.
Step 2: Approve Content Creators Who Want to Collaborate on Branded Content
After signing up for Meta Brand Collabs Manager, you might receive requests from content creators who want to partner with you on branded content.
Here’s how you can view collaboration requests and approve content creators:
1. Go to your Instagram profile and tap the hamburger icon in the top-right corner.
2. Tap “Settings.”
3. Next, tap “Business.”
4. Select “Branded content” and then tap “Approve content creators” to see a list of content creators/influencers who wan to collaborate with you.
5. View the requests by different creators and hit “Approve” to the ones you want to collaborate with.
Once you approve the request, the content creator can publish content with paid partnership label and tag your brand.
Even if branded content tools are not enabled in your Instagram app, you can still access them if your business partners/content creators have tagged you in their branded content.
In case you approve a tag by mistake, you can remove it by following the steps below:
- Go to your Activity Page on Instagram.
- Tap “Branded content” and then tap the post you want to untag.
- Tap the three dots in the top-right corner.
- Next, tap “Tag Options.”
- Lastly, tap “Remove Me from Post” and hit “Confirm.”
Step 3: Promote Your Branded Content in Ads and Boosted Posts
If you want to expand the reach of your branded content, you can seek permission from the content creator/influencer and turn their branded content into an ad.
Before you start creating the ad, keep the following things in mind:
- Make sure that the influencer/content creator has shared the branded content in their Instagram Feed or Story and tagged your business.
- Check if the content creator has given you permission to boost the branded content.
- Check if the branded content meets Meta’s advertising policies.
- Make sure the branded content you want to boost has only one image or video in it.
If everything looks good, follow the steps below to promote any of your branded content on Instagram as an ad:
- Open your Facebook Business account and go to “Ads Manager.”
- Tap “Create an Ad.”
- Select an “Ad Objective” from the available options, such as App Installs, Brand Awareness, Reach, Traffic, Video Views, Conversions, and Page Post Engagement.
- Select the target audience, ad budget, schedule, and placement.
- Next, to create an ad, tap “Use Existing Post” and then “Branded Content.”
- Select the branded content you want to promote through an ad. In this section, you will see the posts the content creator has permitted you to promote.
- Optimize the post, preview the ad, and hit “Confirm.”
I hope you have understood how to use Instagram branded content tools for your brand or business. Using the tools the right way can help you amplify influencer content and boost your brand’s organic reach.
In addition to partnering with influencers/content creators, you can also implement other Instagram marketing tips, such as using Instagram hashtags, Stories and marketing tools, to grow the visibility of your brand on this social networking platform.
How Can Creators Use the Branded Content Tool on Instagram?
After setting up your Creator account and managing paid partnership settings, you can start creating and posting branded content for your business partner.
1. Create a new post, add filters, and write an engaging caption.
2. Tap “Advanced settings” at the end of the page.
3. Scroll down to “Branded content” and tap to toggle on “Add paid partnership label.”
4. Next, tap “Add brand partners.” Use the search box to find the brands/businesses you want to partner with and tap “Add” next to their Instagram handle. This is how you can request approval for branded content on Instagram.
When the brands/businesses approve your request, you can publish the post with the paid partnership label and tags.
Points to keep in mind:
- If you have approvals from brand partners already, tap “Add brand partners” and then select the ones you want to add to your post. You can tag up to two business partners in one post.
- Go to the next screen and you will see an option that says, “Allow brand partner to boost.” Toggle on this option if you want your brand/business partner to boost the post for better reach and engagement.
- Lastly, publish the post. The paid partnership label will appear with the name of the brand/business you have partnered with.
- You can tap the “View insights” tab at any time to check how the post is performing.
Instagram allows you to add a “Paid partnership” label for Live videos, Stories, Reels, and videos as well.
Along with the branded content tools on Instagram, you can also try popular Instagram marketing tools and business tools, such as Inflact, Combin, Linktree, and Kicksta, to boost the visibility of your account.
1. What does it mean when you can’t use branded content tools on Instagram?
If you are a business owner or content creator who wants to use the branded content or handshake tool on Instagram, you need to comply with the following Instagram policies:
In case of failure to comply with any of these, you will not be eligible to use the Instagram branded content tool.
Also, any unauthorized, false, or misleading content will not be eligible for branded content. If you try to post anything that violates Instagram’s guidelines and policies, the platform will display a message that says, “You’re no longer eligible to use Instagram branded content tool.”
2. How to remove branded content tools on Instagram?
You can remove branded content on Instagram by following the steps below:
– Go to the Activity Page of your Instagram account.
– Tap the post you want to remove the “Branded content” tag from.
– Next, tap the three dots in the top-right corner.
– Select “Remove Tag” from the list.
– “Confirm” removal.
Want to Expand Your Reach with Instagram Branded Content Tools?
If you are looking for ways to boost brand awareness and reach your target audience, start using Instagram branded content tools right away.
These tools can help you find and connect with brand partners/content creators on Instagram and also manage branded content efficiently.
However, before you start using these tools, take time to understand how they work. Once you get a fair idea, create a Business or Creator account on Instagram, set up the tools, and start using them for labeling paid partnerships.
Most importantly, go through Instagram’s policies and guidelines and keep the branded content eligibility requirements in mind.
If you have any questions about using Instagram’s branded content tools, share them in the comments below.