Instagram Stories are quick to create and offer immense engagement opportunities. One way to make them even more fun and engaging is by adding music to your Instagram Story.
It will help set a vibe to your content, bringing life to your Story. And, it’s easy to do!
You can select and add a soundtrack using the platform’s Music Sticker or directly use your favorite tracks from third-party apps like Spotify and Apple Music.
In this post, I’ll show you exactly how to do that, step by step.
How to Add Music to Your Instagram Story
Adding music to your Instagram Story takes a little time and effort but it can help you capture your audience’s attention quickly.
I’ll show you the steps to follow to make your Stories musical and full of life.
Step 1: Install the latest version of the Instagram app on your smartphone.
Step 2: Create a new Instagram Story by clicking on the “+” sign on your profile photo.
You can also click on the “+” sign at the bottom of the screen and then tap on “Story.”
Step 3: Capture a photo or video for your IG Story or use an existing one from your smartphone’s gallery. Then, click on the Sticker icon (square smiley) at the top of the screen.
Step 4: You’ll see a range of Instagram Story Stickers in the pop-up menu. Select the Music Sticker for your Story.
Step 5: Look for the music or soundtrack you want to add to your Instagram Story from IG’s music library.
- The app suggests sounds relevant to your account under the “For You” tab.
- You can browse music from different genres.
- You can also select an audio based on the mood and vibe of your IG Story.
- Or, search for a specific soundtrack.
All of the songs featured in this library are licensed for use on Instagram Stories so you can use them freely.
If you want to use another song, you can do it via third-party music apps. I’ll cover the process to do that in the upcoming sections of this article.
For now, pick a song from the available options and move on to the next step.
Step 6: Tap on the music you want to add to your Story. Then, hold and drag the music notes in the selection box to finalize the part of the song you want to play. Click on “Done” at the top-right corner.
Step 7: Once you’ve added music to your Story, you can also add other Stickers, text, and hashtags to it and then, publish your Story.
You can either share it with all your followers or just with your “Close friends” list on Instagram.
How to Add Lyrics to Your Instagram Story
Adding lyrics to your Instagram Story music can make it more engaging and interactive for your followers. It allows them to sing along and connect with the music on a deeper level. It can also help convey the mood or message you want to express through your Story.
Just follow the steps mentioned above to add music to your Story. When you select the soundtrack to add to your Story, you’ll also get an option to display its lyrics.
Click on the text type options (A/Aa) to change the fonts and animations in which you want to display the lyrics. Once finalized, click on “Done.”
However, note that you can only add lyrics to music pieces for which the lyrics are available. Else a pop-up message will appear, saying “Lyrics aren’t available for this song.”
How to Add Music to Your Instagram Story via Streaming Apps
Do you want access to a wider selection of songs and artists?
You can add music to your Instagram Story via third-party streaming apps like Spotify and Apple Music. It can make it easier to find the exact song you want to use in your Story. You can also share the music you’re currently listening to with your followers.
Here’s how to do it:
How to Add Music to Your Instagram Story Using InShot
InShot has an easy-to-use interface and makes it easy to add music to any video with a wide collection of royalty-free music. It is available for both Android and iOS users.
- Open the InShot app and tap on “Video.”
- Select the video you want to add music to. Then, tap on the musical note (♪) icon.
- Tap the Music icon (♪+) again to access the music library. You can browse various tunes and music categories to find the one that fits your content.
- Once you know which music to add to your Instagram Story, click on the download icon to save that audio to your “My Music” collection and tap on the “Use” button.
- Select the audio clip and click on “Edit” to edit the duration, volume, and transition effects of the soundtrack. Once done, tap the tick mark to save your edits.
- You can click on the play icon in the center to preview your video. When satisfied, tap “Save” at the top-right corner and select your video’s resolution, frame rate, and format.
- Upload the edited video with music to your Instagram Story and publish it.
You can use the same steps to add music to your video feed posts and Reels using InShot. Just select the format you want to publish your video in, while exporting the content from InShot to Instagram.
How to Add Music to Your Instagram Story Using Spotify
Are you used to listening to music on Spotify? Then, you can share your favorite music with your Instagram audience directly from Spotify.
Here’s how to do that:
- Open the “Spotify” app and play a song or audio track you like.
- Tap on the three little dots on the right side, next to the song.
- Click on “Share.”
- Select the “Instagram Stories”option and publish the Story.
How to Add Music to Your Instagram Story Using Apple Music
Apple Music has a library of over 100 million songs, which makes it easy to find the perfect song to share in no time.
Here are the steps you need to follow to add music to your IG Story using Apple Music:
- Open “Apple Music” and find the song you’d like to share on your Story.
- Tap the three little dots on the right side of the song.
- Select “Share Song.”
- Click on “Instagram Stories” and publish the Story with your favorite Apple Music song.
How to Edit the Music Sticker in Your Instagram Story
While adding music to Instagram Stories via the Music Sticker, you can customize it in any way to suit your preferences and the vibe of your Story.
Here are some of the elements of the Music Sticker that you can edit and adjust:
1. Adjust the Length of the Music Clip
Instagram allows you to adjust the length of the music clip and select the part of the song you want to play with your Stories.
2. Adjust the Type of the Music Sticker
Just tap on the Music Sticker to adjust its size and type.
You can choose to only play the song with your Story, without displaying the title of the music track.
If you want to show the title of the music track, there are again two options. You can either display the track’s title in a square box with a thumbnail image or display it in a rectangular box without the thumbnail image.
3. Resize the Music Sticker on Your Instagram Story
Use your index finger and thumb to resize the Sticker by zooming in or zooming out.
4. Display the Lyrics of the Audio Track
You can choose to display the lyrics of the audio track in four different font styles and animation effects.
5. Change the Color of the Music Sticker and the Displayed Lyrics
Tap the color wheel at the top of the screen to change the color of the Music Sticker as well as the lyrics displayed on your Story.
How to Add Music to an Instagram Story If You Can’t Access the Music Sticker
Can’t find access to the Music Sticker on Instagram Story?
There could be different reasons for this unavailability of the Music Sticker, like:
- The Sticker may not be available in your country. Over 90 countries support this feature but there are regions that don’t.
- Your Instagram application may be out of date. You can simply update your app to resolve this.
- You might be creating branded content for which the Music Sticker isn’t available due to copyright laws.
Here’s how you can add music to your Instagram Story without using the Music Sticker (or if you don’t have this Sticker):
- Open any music streaming app or media player on your device and play the song you want to add to your Instagram Story.
- Open Instagram > Create a Story > Record your Story video with the music playing in the background.
- The app will also capture the music while recording content for your Instagram Story.
Are You Ready to Add Life to Your Instagram Stories?
Adding music to your Instagram Story is a great way to add life and personality to your content.
Whether you choose to use the Instagram Music Sticker, a streaming app, or play music in the background while recording, you can easily add a new dimension of creativity and fun to your Stories.
With so many options available, you can now choose from a vast library of songs and even use your favorite tunes from your favorite streaming app.
So why wait?
Try out these methods and see how music can make your Instagram Stories more engaging, helping you attract and engage new accounts.
Get creative with your music choices and let your IG Stories come to life!