Having a high ranking with Google is how most people measure the success of their online marketing efforts, but Alexa Rank could be important too. Some SEO experts believe that Alexa works just as well for websites looking to attract more traffic and increase conversions. Being aware of your website’s Alexa Rank could help you find better techniques and strategies for optimizing your platform for financial profit. In this article, I’ve compiled all the essentials you must know about the Alexa ranking system.
What is Alexa Rank?
The Alexa ranking system was set up by Alexa.com, which is a subsidiary of Amazon.com. The analytics platform audits the frequency of visits on websites and makes the results public. Alexa traffic rankings use a simple algorithm to record the amount of user traffic for those who have the Alexa toolbar installed. According to its website, Alexa has stored data on online browsing behavior for 300+ million Internet pages.
Parameters, such as page views and reach, are taken into account when calculating the traffic. Reach refers to the number of users who visit a certain website in one day. Like the name suggests, page view is the number of times Alexa users view a certain page. Keep in mind that one user visiting the same website multiple times in one day will be counted as one visit.
How it Works
As briefly mentioned before, Alexa uses the data provided by its toolbar users for ranking websites. To get started, you simply need to download and install the toolbar. It’ll then display the Alexa Rank of the visited website. In addition, the toolbar will also send traffic data to a central server. Your IP address and the URL you’re visiting are recorded.
A greater sample source naturally gives more accurate data. However, accuracy may be dubious if you’re among the lower-ranking sites. Those among the top 100,000 ranking sites in the Alexa system can rest assured that they’re drawing in good traffic. Websites with solid Alexa positions will have more visitors and likely convert more users into customers.
Can Alexa Rank Be Manipulated?
Similarly, you can make use of the AlexaBooster. This application enables you to get a ranking of 10,000 or above for a fee of $300 per month. Spending $5,000 a month can even get you above the 100 rank. As you can see, Alexa Rank is fairly easy to manipulate. Of course, it’s never recommended that you use bots or scripts to rank higher than your competitors.
Does a Good Alexa Rank Matter?
Google is readily accepted as an expert ranking system. However, there are mixed feelings in the SEO world regarding the importance and relevance of Alexa Rank. Let’s a closer look at the advantages and drawbacks of the Alexa ranking system.
Here are several ways in which good Alexa rankings could help you:
- Unlike Google’s PageRank, a lower number on Alexa means a better ranking. If you rank below 100,000, it means that your website is quite popular.
- Alexa is popularly used by bloggers to make more money from advertisers. That’s because a good ranking on the Alexa system gives you the freedom to charge a higher rate for promos. Advertisers and webmasters can get an insight into the true marketing potential of your website. Earning a better Alexa ranking will likely translate into more lucrative bids for advertising space.
- You can easily find out the rough estimation of traffic for certain websites. Alexa is a cost-effective tool to help you gain competitive intelligence. You can easily keep track of traffic on your competitor’s site using the toolbar. The higher the rank number, the lower traffic they’re getting. Alexa lets you to compare your marketing efforts to your competitors’.
- Better Alexa rankings help you enrich your website with fresh, high-quality content through guest posts. Guest writers would naturally want to write for sites with a good ranking in the system.
- With the information provided by Alexa, you get insights into the performance of your website. This makes it useful for aiding your SEO and marketing efforts.
You’ll also find that Alexa rankings aren’t too important for these reasons:
- Alexa only takes into account data received from users of their toolbar, so the results may be quite relative. Not everyone has the toolbar installed. There are millions of websites that may never receive a good rank despite having a lot of traffic.
- As previously mentioned, Alexa can be manipulated. Online traffic data can be influenced to a significant extent. The results may not be as accurate as desired if some publishers and webmasters decide to manipulate the tool.
- Alexa doesn’t separately rank subdomains and subpages within a domain. It only calculates the traffic for the top-level domain, which may result in a few inaccuracies.
How to Improve Your Alexa Rank
You can improve your number in the Alexa ranking system using several ethical practices without manipulating the tool. Below I’ve highlighted some useful tips:
- Create an Alexa account and add details about your website there. Add meta tags to your site so that it can be verified as a property of the Alexa account.
- Download and install the toolbar to determine your site’s performance.
- Add the Alexa widget to your website or blog. You can get more regular visitors to use the tool and receive more accurate results.
- Update your site regularly with fresh, original content that’s useful and well-written. Whether you’re a blogger or a web developer, it’s always important to improve user engagement by giving your audience something they’ll find helpful.
- Try to get visitors and friends to review your site on Alexa. Encourage them to leave nice comments that’ll surely nudge you a bit higher in the rankings.
- Promote your articles on popular social networking sites that are frequented by your targeted audience.
- Ask your friends and acquaintances to download and install the toolbar. They can then visit your site and help you get a better ranking.
- Update your site with articles and blog posts about Alexa. This will improve your ranking by getting more quality links to your page.
- Most bloggers have the Alexa toolbar installed, so try focusing on getting more traffic from your specialized niche.
Takeaway: Make changes to increase your page views. Sub-dividing your post into multiple pages, is commonly done by Forbes and Search Engine Journal. Move any download buttons to a new page too. This is popular with CNET.com and Download.com.
Alexa Rank Case Study
A study by Techulator was conducted to determine the reliability of Alexa rankings in measuring website traffic and reputation. The candidate examined was Shoutmeloud.come. At the time, the website had a global Alexa Rank of 2,608. Researchers compared the Google Analytics page view reports for both Techulator and Shoutmeloud. The reports showed that Shoutmeloud had 675,365 page views while Techulator had 659,889.
Although these numbers suggest pretty similar performance in terms of page views, Techulator ranks much lower (16.8k) in the Alexa ranking system. That’s because only a small portion of its audience has the Alexa toolbar installed. The study concluded that the nature of audience highly influences a site’s Alexa Rank. An audience with little to no knowledge about webmaster-related tools will generate a low rank. The Alexa ranking system is most reliable for comparing sites that cater to similar audiences.
It’s fair to say that Alexa rankings is an important part of SEO. Yet, it shouldn’t be used as the primary tool for monitoring traffic since results can be relative and inaccurate. Instead of ignoring the Alexa ranking system altogether, I suggest that you make it a complementary part of your website’s strong SEO strategy. This will help in improving your site’s popularity and bringing in more revenue online. Using Alexa rankings wisely can help in building a successful, popular website on a global scale.
How do you feel about the Alexa Rank? Enter the conversation below!