Last Updated On:
Running a social media giveaway or contest is a great way to start an online conversation about your business. Not only can you increase your brand awareness, but you can also generate more leads.
After all, who doesn’t like getting free goodies?
You’ll win some brownie points for giving out the freebies and be able to build a positive brand image. Another advantage of hosting a social media giveaway is that you can promote your brand without being excessively promotional.
It’s a strategy that can instantly create buzz around your brand. Let’s take a look at what goes into planning social media giveaways.
Things To Take Care of While Running A Social Media Giveaway
1. Understand Your Objective
Before you begin planning your social media giveaway, figure out why you want to run it. There are a lot of different campaigns to choose from. However, what you select should be based on your campaign objective.
Here are a few objectives that you can base your marketing campaign on:
- Increase Follower Count: You can use giveaways to build your audience on different social media channels.
- Grow Your Email List: As a part of social media giveaways, you can ask people to submit their email addresses. Through this, you can grow your mailing list and keep your fans updated about offers and promotions.
- Boost Brand Awareness: Giveaways can be a great way to make more people familiar with your brand. To increase brand awareness, you can ask people to tag their friends on your posts.
- Drive Engagement: Whatever your ultimate campaign objective is, you’ll end up driving engagement with social media giveaways. That’s because brands usually ask people to like, comment, and share their posts to win the contest.
- Promote New Products: Giveaways are a great way to put the spotlight on your new line of products. They can help generate more leads and boost sales.
For instance, take a look at Birchbox’s Instagram giveaway campaign. They showcased their range of new products from Living Proof Inc and gave away exclusive sets to some lucky winners.
Image via Instagram
2. Pick a Social Media Platform
For any business, it’s important to maintain a strong presence on social media. However, not all social media platforms are created equal.
Based on your target audience, industry, and niche, certain social media platforms may be better suited for your business.
Figure out which platform your audience spends most of their time on. You’re more likely to get the attention of your audience on the platforms they are most active on.
While Instagram marketing is the preferred choice for most marketers, it may not always be the right choice for you. For instance, if your target audience is mostly stay-at-home moms, Pinterest would be a better choice for you.
3. Decide on the Prize
When it comes to social media giveaways, people participate to win. So, you need to make sure that the prize you offer is appealing enough to them. If your prize isn’t attractive enough, you may see low engagement.
It’s also a good idea to choose a prize that is related to your brand. It could be anything from loyalty points and product samples to membership plans. Whatever you choose, make sure you’re giving your customers a taste of your services or products.
Also, ensure that the reward you offer is proportional to the effort that participants have to put in.
For instance, if you ask your followers to like your posts, you can offer a few product samples. However, if you want them to upload photos using your branded hashtags, you need to raise the stakes.
Take a cue from Dominoes’ social media giveaway. For a chance to win the $10,000 reward, Domino’s asked fans to post their photos using the hashtag #PieceofthePieContest.
Image via Instagram
A reward worth $10,000 may be a bit too much for smaller brands. But you can take inspiration from this example and make sure you make your giveaway worthwhile for your audience. Pick a reward that motivates them to participate.
4. Draft a Plan
Once you’re done making the major decisions regarding your social media giveaway, it’s time to put things on paper. The first step of running a giveaway campaign is to decide on the timeline.
Here are the factors you should clearly list to make your giveaway plan more concrete:
- Timeline: Set the dates when you plan to start and end the giveaway campaign. Don’t forget to mention the end date in your captions. It’s a great way to instill a sense of urgency.
- Rules: Who is eligible to participate in the contest? If you have any limitations about age, location, or any other factor, write it down clearly.
- Mode of participation: You should mention what a user must do to enter the contest.
- Prize: Your prize needs to be the star of your social media giveaway campaign. So, make sure you feature it prominently on your posts and in the caption.
- Winner announcement: When are you going to announce a winner? How many winners will you pick? Mention these details clearly and share them with your audience to keep them hooked.
- Posting Schedule: When it comes to social media giveaways, you can’t just post once and forget about it. Talk about it often on different social media platforms. You can also send your subscribers emails about it. Also, run social media ads if needed. Invest some time into writing a posting schedule.
5. Know the Rules
Before you post your giveaway, make sure you understand the rules regarding promotions. Each social media platform has different rules. So, based on the platform you’ve chosen, you’ll have to read the rules.
For instance, Instagram’s promotion guidelines state that you should make it clear that Instagram isn’t directly involved in the campaign. This guideline is also applicable for promotional posts on Facebooks.
Additionally, Instagram does not encourage inaccurate tagging. So, if a person is not present in a photo, you shouldn’t ask them to tag themselves in it. However, it’s acceptable to ask people to tag their friends in the comments section.
Twitter discourages the creation of multiple accounts. They also advise brands to include a rule that states that people found to be using multiple accounts for contests will be ineligible.
Some guidelines for posting promotional content on social media platforms may also be country-specific. Read up on all of the rules for the platform you’ve chosen.
6. Use the Right Tools
You’re going to be flooded with entries once your social media giveaway goes live. It can quickly get overwhelming if you don’t have a plan in place to track all the entries. To make your job easier, you need to use the right tracking tools.
You can use Hootsuite to stay updated about the new entries on your post. This tool will allow you to track your who is mentioning your hashtag and who is reposting your photos.
For hosting and designing your social media giveaway campaigns, here are the tools that you can use:
Using VYPER, you can run social media giveaways, contests, and loyalty programs. In addition to this, you can also design landing pages and embed forms using this tool.
If you want a quick design made, you can use their ready-made templates for your campaigns. Want to know the best part? Their free plan enables brands to collect up to 250 leads.
This tool provides an all-in-one approach to planning your giveaway. From choosing your entry methods to collecting entries, Rafflecopter can do it all for you.
Alternatively, you can also use Rafflecopter to host your social media giveaways. This tool provides a one-in-all approach to planning your giveaway. From choosing your entry methods to collecting entries, it can do it all for you.
Image via Rafflecopter
Ready to Boost Your Reach With Social Media Giveaways?
Social media giveaways can help you grow your brand rapidly. They can boost your brand awareness, engagement, and sales.
To run a successful social media giveaway, you need to pick a reward that motivates people to take part in your contest.
Additionally, you need to invest time into promoting your giveaway to maximize participation. If executed well, social media giveaways can create a lot of buzz for any brand. You can leverage tools like VYPER and Rafflecopter to ensure that you can run your giveaways and contests smoothly.
Have you run a social media giveaway before? Tell us about your experience in the comments section.