To get more followers on Twitter (now rebranded as X), you should:
- Consistently publish posts (formerly tweets) at optimal timings using social scheduling tools like Sprout Social.
- Get active on Twitter threads and use the right hashtags to reach a wider audience.
- Engage with other similar X (formerly Twitter) accounts.
- Optimize your Twitter profile.
- Join and create Twitter Lists for better visibility.
- Join and host Twitter chats to connect with like-minded users and expand your network.
- Attract more followers on X by sharing visually-appealing content.
Are you looking to expand your Twitter presence and grow your brand? Twitter has emerged as a game-changer for businesses and marketers like you.
With millions of active users, it offers an incredible opportunity to connect with a vast audience. Plus, it has been recently rebranded as X.
But the question remains: how can you get followers on Twitter and make your voice heard in this bustling social media sphere?
Don't worry, we've got you covered!
In this comprehensive guide, we'll delve into the strategies and tactics that will help you build a thriving Twitter following. You'll discover the secrets to optimizing your profile, from crafting a captivating bio to choosing an eye-catching profile picture that truly represents your brand.
We'll also explore the art of crafting engaging tweets that resonate with your target audience, ensuring your content stands out in the crowded Twitterverse.
Whether you're a seasoned marketer or a small business owner seeking to make a big impact, this guide is tailor-made for you. So, let's dive in together and unlock the untapped potential that awaits you on X (formerly Twitter)!
But before we delve into the details, I want you to know how important your Twitter follower count is.
Why Does Twitter Follower Count Matter?
While the number of followers you have on X (formerly Twitter) may not directly translate to success, it plays a crucial role in expanding your reach and achieving your business goals.
Here's a detailed explanation of why your Twitter (X) follower count matters:
- Enhanced social proof: A high follower count on Twitter serves as social evidence, building trust and credibility in your potential followers. Major brands typically have a substantial follower count.
- Amplified reach: Increasing your Twitter follower count expands your reach as each new follower exposes your content to more people. You can check the view count at the bottom of a tweet to gauge post reach.
Image via Twitter
- Greater collaboration opportunities: As you gain more X (Twitter) followers, you gain credibility, making you an attractive partner for sponsorships. This can lead to opportunities for monetization, brand partnerships, and other valuable collaborations.
- Better business growth: A higher Twitter follower count directly impacts your bottom line. You can promote your offerings, drive traffic to your website, and generate leads.
However, you should keep in mind that a successful Twitter presence requires a balance between a substantial follower count and high engagement.
Focusing solely on increasing followers without fostering genuine interactions may limit the impact of your Twitter strategy.
How to Get Followers on Twitter (now X): 10 Actionable Tips You Can Follow
Gaining followers on Twitter requires a strategic approach that combines compelling content, effective engagement, and optimal utilization of platform features.
Let’s take a look at the key strategies you can use to grow your Twitter follower count and the tools that can support you during the process.
1. Get Your X (Twitter) Profile Verified
Twitter verification adds credibility to your account and lets users know that you are an authentic entity. After a temporary pause, Twitter has reintroduced the verification process.
There are two types of verified accounts on Twitter:
1. Twitter accounts with a blue checkmark:
- Indicates an account with an active subscription to Twitter Blue and meets eligibility requirements.
- Accounts with a blue checkmark under a Twitter Blue subscription don't undergo the previous active, notable, and authentic criteria review.
- Twitter accounts with a blue tick enjoy the following benefits:
2. Twitter accounts with a gold checkmark:
- Identifies an official business account through Twitter Verified Organizations.
Familiarize yourself with the verification process outlined by Twitter to ensure your account gets the tick it deserves. The verification badge assures potential followers that you are the real deal, increasing their likelihood of following you.
2. Establish a Unique Brand Voice
The key to gaining followers on Twitter starts with establishing a distinct and captivating brand voice. Before creating your Twitter account, invest time in developing your brand's persona, vision, and messaging.
By understanding your target audience and crafting a unique voice, you can carve out a niche that resonates with people.
Take inspiration from successful brands like Taco Bell, whose witty and engaging brand voice has garnered a significant following.
us at 12am, 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am, 7am, 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm, 11pm: https://t.co/kxElfevJKV— Taco Bell (@tacobell) June 28, 2023
Remember that a well-defined brand voice will attract followers who want to be part of your community.
3. Engage with Other Similar Twitter Accounts
When you interact with accounts with similar interests or target audiences, you're tapping into a ready-made community of potential followers who are already interested in the kind of content you share.
It's like finding your tribe on Twitter!
By actively engaging with these accounts, you're not only showing your support but also increasing your visibility to their followers.
Collaboration is another perk of engaging with similar accounts. You can team up for cross-promotions or exciting joint initiatives, leveraging each other's audiences and expanding your reach together.
If you don’t want to go down the collaboration route, you can even engage in some lighthearted banter on Twitter.
Here is an example of competitors engaging in a fun dialogue on Twitter:
When you chat with other brands on social media, it's a great way to spark engagement between your different audiences, even if they're your competitors.
Just make sure each message you send stays true to your brand and is well thought out. The main goal here is to grow a loyal and engaged audience.
Now, some marketers might tell you that getting into a Twitter war with a competitor is a big no-no. But I have a different perspective.
In fact, in this case, both brands actually benefited from the attention they received. By keeping the conversation friendly and fun, they showed that brand-to-brand communication doesn't have to be negative.
4. Publish Posts on X (formerly Tweets) at Optimal Timings
If you want to gain more followers on Twitter, it's best to post at optimal times. By strategically timing your tweets, you can significantly enhance your visibility and maximize engagement.
Posting at the right times ensures that your content reaches a larger audience, increasing the chances of attracting followers.
When you post when your target audience is actively using the platform, your tweets are more likely to appear in their timelines, grabbing their attention.
This heightened visibility improves the likelihood of them seeing and interacting with your content, ultimately leading to more followers and increased engagement with your brand on Twitter.
According to SproutSocial, the best days to post on X are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Surprisingly, the worst day to tweet is Sunday!
While this is the data for global engagement on Twitter, I recommend you do your own research. The best day and time to tweet for your brand may differ.
To find the best time to post on Twitter for your brand, follow these steps:
- Analyze your audience: Understand your target audience's demographics and behavior on Twitter.
- Use Twitter Analytics: Leverage Twitter Analytics to gain insights into your audience's engagement patterns and identify peak activity times.
- Conduct competitor analysis: Research when your competitors are most active and successful on Twitter to gain insights into shared audience behavior.
- Experiment and track results: Test different posting times and monitor the performance of your tweets. Look for patterns and trends that indicate optimal posting times.
- Consider time zones: Adjust your posting schedule to accommodate the time zones of your target audience.
- Engage with your audience: Regularly interact with your followers and monitor conversations to gather real-time feedback on when they are most active and engaged.
Finding the best time to post on Twitter requires ongoing monitoring, analysis, and adaptation. Stay flexible and be willing to adjust your posting schedule based on data and insights.
5. Get Active on Twitter Threads
Twitter threads are a sequence of tweets connected in a series, marked by numbering (e.g., 1/6, 2/6, 3/6) to indicate the order. Twitter threads are a great way to share long-form content on Twitter, and mastering them can help boost your follower count.
Here’s why you should use Twitter threads:
- Share more information: With a single tweet, you're limited to 280 characters. But with a Twitter thread, you can share as much information as you want, over multiple tweets. This is great for sharing stories, tutorials, or any other type of content that would be too long for a single tweet.
- Create more engaging content: Twitter threads are more engaging than single tweets because they tell a story or provide a more in-depth look at a topic. This makes them more likely to be read and shared.
- Reach a wider audience: When you share a Twitter thread, it's not just your followers who see it. It's also seen by people who follow the people who retweet or reply to your thread. This can help you reach a wider audience and grow your follower count.
Now that you know Twitter threads are important, how do you create them? Think of it as creating a series of interrelated posts to explain a specific topic. The idea is to give information in small bits and in a visually appealing way.
If you haven’t created Twitter threads before, here are some tips you should consider:
- Start with a strong hook. Your first tweet should be attention-grabbing and make people want to read more. You can do this by asking a question, sharing a surprising fact or statistic, or making a bold statement.
- Keep your tweets short and concise. Each tweet in your thread should be no more than 280 characters long. This will make it easier for people to read and digest your content.
- Tell a story. Twitter threads are a great way to tell a story, whether it's a personal story, a business story, or a news story. When you tell a story, you're more likely to engage your audience and keep them reading.
- Be conversational. Write your tweets in a conversational tone, as if you're talking to your friends. This will make your thread more engaging and easier to read.
6. Use the Right Hashtags
Hashtags play a crucial role in making your tweets searchable and accessible to users beyond your existing followers. Incorporating relevant hashtags into your tweets is a quick and effective way to reach new viewers and expand your audience.
Twitter suggests using 1-2 hashtags per tweet. It is essential to ensure that the hashtags are relevant to your content.
To attract more followers on Twitter, incorporating trending hashtags, such as Urban Outfitters' “#S11NGLESDAY,” can be highly effective.
By leveraging popular hashtags associated with events like Singles' Day, you have the opportunity to showcase your brand's relevance, tap into ongoing conversations, and expand your reach.
This strategic approach allows you to demonstrate your understanding of your audience and enhance your visibility and engagement on the platform.
7. Optimize Your X (Twitter) Profile
Your Twitter profile plays a crucial role in attracting new followers, as it is searchable both within the app and on external search engines like Google.
To maximize your chances of being discovered by potential followers, ensure your profile is complete and compelling. Include a high-quality profile photo that represents your brand effectively.
Utilize relevant tags, keywords, and location information to increase searchability. Infuse your profile with a touch of personality to make it memorable.
A great example to follow is PlayStation, which incorporates various iterations of its name (such as PS4, PS5, PS VR) in the bio, along with a branded profile image and clear location information.
8. Make the Most of Twitter Lists
Twitter Lists are a way to organize your Twitter feed so that you can follow specific topics or groups of people. They are a great way to stay organized, discover new content, and connect with other users.
To create a Twitter list, you simply need to go to your profile and click on the “Lists” tab. Then, click on the “Create a new list” button and enter a name for your list.
You can also add a description, a cover photo, and privacy settings for your List.
Once you have created a List, you can add accounts to it by searching for them or by clicking on the “Add people” button. You can also remove accounts from your Lists at any time.
Using Twitter Lists, you can organize users into named groups, allowing you to streamline your engagement efforts and prioritize interactions.
To boost engagement and follower growth, create Lists based on categories such as competitors, consistent retweeters, customers, brand advocates, industry influencers, and prospects.
You can also check the “Suggested Lists” option to find relevant online communities for your brand.
You can make these Twitter Lists private or public. I would recommend that you create a few public Twitter Lists if your goal is to get more followers.
As more people discover and follow your Lists, they will also be more likely to see your profile, which can lead to increased follower growth.
Plus, when you follow Twitter Lists, you'll be exposed to new accounts and new people. This can give you the opportunity to connect with other users and build relationships. These relationships can then lead to more followers and more engagement.
9. Join and Host Twitter Chats
Hosting and joining Twitter chats is an essential strategy for businesses seeking more followers on Twitter. When you host a Twitter chat, you actively engage with participants and put your brand in the spotlight.
By sharing valuable insights and actively participating in the conversation, you increase your brand's visibility and attract a larger audience of followers who are interested in your industry or niche.
Hosting a Twitter chat allows you to showcase your expertise, establish credibility, and create a positive impression of your business among participants.
But to attract followers, you should go beyond just hosting Twitter chats.
Join other Twitter chats as well.
To maximize your follower growth, it's crucial for you to select the right ones to participate in. You should identify and join Twitter chats that align with your industry or target audience. Look for chats that discuss topics relevant to your business, products, or services.
By joining chats that attract your ideal customers, you can connect with like-minded individuals and potential clients who share similar interests.
When you participate in the right Twitter chats, you have the opportunity to engage with a highly relevant audience, increasing the likelihood of attracting followers who are genuinely interested in your brand.
10. Share More Visual Content
Twitter may have started as a text-based platform, but now visuals have gained immense popularity on it. To make the most of your Twitter experience, it's essential for you to leverage the popularity of visuals.
Incorporating relevant and eye-catching visuals not only increases the chances of your content being noticed but also encourages higher levels of interaction, such as retweets, likes, and comments.
Videos, in particular, get a great response on Twitter. Check out these statistics from Twitter:
If you include more videos on Twitter, you have a better chance of getting followers and keeping them engaged. Along with videos, you should also publish images, memes, GIFs, infographics, and graphic quotes.
The advantage of visual content is that it does not count toward Twitter's character limit, allowing you to convey more information and evoke emotions effectively.
But how exactly can make your Twitter account full of engaging visuals?
Take a look at an example.
Xbox, the popular gaming brand, frequently shares game trailers and teasers on Twitter, providing sneak peeks into upcoming titles.
These trailers are visually impactful, featuring high-quality graphics, intense action sequences, and cinematic storytelling. By showcasing exciting gameplay footage, Xbox generates buzz and anticipation among its followers, sparking conversations and driving retweets and shares.
By leveraging the power of visuals, you can make your tweets more engaging and shareable, attracting a larger following.
Ready to Build a Good Following on X?
Building a strong Twitter following takes time, effort, and strategic thinking. Remember to optimize your profile, craft compelling tweets, engage with your audience, and leverage relevant hashtags and trends.
By implementing these strategies consistently and authentically, you'll increase your visibility, attract more followers, and ultimately build a thriving community around your Twitter account.
So, go ahead and put these tips into action today.
Watch your follower count rise as you connect with like-minded individuals, spark meaningful conversations, and share valuable content.
Keep in mind that building a meaningful following is not just about the numbers, but about building genuine connections and fostering a thriving community.
Share your progress or any questions you have in the comments below.
1. How can you reach 1,000 followers on Twitter?
To reach 1,000 followers on Twitter, implement the following strategies consistently:
– Get your Twitter profile verified to enhance credibility and build trust.
– Develop a unique brand voice to stand out and attract a loyal following.
– Engage with other similar Twitter accounts to increase exposure and gain followers.
– Get active on Twitter threads by participating in conversations and showcasing your expertise.
– Use the right hashtags to increase discoverability and reach a broader audience.
Optimize your Twitter profile with a professional picture, compelling bio, and relevant keywords.
– Publish tweets at optimal timings when your target audience is most active.
– Make the most of Twitter lists by curating influential accounts and engaging with their content.
– Join and host Twitter chats to connect with like-minded individuals and increase your visibility.
– Share more visual content, such as images, videos, and infographics, to capture attention and drive engagement.
2. How can I get free Twitter followers instantly?
While it is possible to obtain free Twitter followers instantly through certain methods, it is important to exercise caution and consider the quality and authenticity of these followers.
Some websites or services may promise instant followers, but these followers are often fake or low-quality accounts that provide no real value or engagement.
By fostering authentic connections and delivering valuable content consistently, you can attract real followers who are genuinely interested in your account.
3. How can I get noticed on Twitter?
Consistency, authenticity, and active engagement are key to getting noticed on Twitter and building a loyal and engaged following.
Here are some strategies that can help:
– Create compelling content that resonates with your target audience.
– Utilize relevant hashtags to increase visibility and reach a wider audience.
– Engage with others by retweeting, liking, and replying to their tweets.
– Initiate conversations and actively participate in relevant discussions.
– Post tweets at optimal times when your audience is likely to be on Twitter.
– Participate in Twitter chats to showcase your expertise and expand your reach.